Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out as a revolver guy so I don't know much about semi auto's, so please bear with me. This is probably a really stupid question but what is the purpose of the neon pink tweezer looking thing that came in the XD box? Is it a cleaning tool or something? Do I need it?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i'm assuming you're talking about the thing sticking out of the ejection port?

i threw mine away first thing. basically it keeps the slide held back far enough that you can see that the gun is safe in an instant. you could just lock the slide back and achive the same thing.

congrats on the new xd! i'm sure you'll love it.

btw, what kind of revolvers are you in to?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah..I see, so its useless.

Yep, the XD40 is real nice. I went to the range and shot a pretty good group my first round. Then I tried to reload the magazines. The new mags are SO stiff. After reloading a few times my hands got pretty tired and my shot grouping started spreading out pretty bad so I called it quits that day. I bought one of those speed loaders on xdgear.com so that should help when it gets here. I was used to revolvers so I didn't really know that loading new mags would be so hard.

I have a Taurus Model 66 4" SS, .357 magnum. It has a wicked kick to it! It was just a starter gun I bought, and I heard that its good to learn to shoot on a revolver first.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I thought I was going to break a thumb the first time I loaded my SC mags. Fortunately, they loosen up pretty well in the first 5 loads/unloads or so. That isn't to say it's easy, but it's definitely easier.

I'll second starting with a revolver. I've been shooting so long that I don't remember what the first handgun I ever fired was, but more likely than not it was a revolver. My dad has a 6" S&W 586, and it is quite possibly the finest revolver, nay, handgun I've ever fired. As much as I like my 1911 and my XD, I must admit that the simplicity and elegance of a revolver can't be matched.

A sig from a guy on another forum said:
The revolver; not as clumsy or as random as a semi-auto. An elegant weapon for a more civilized time.
Anyway, it's good to hear that you're happy with your XD.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Leave your magazines fully loaded for a while and it will help the springs set. Then it will be easier to load.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Why didn't anyone answer his question?

That blaze pink / orange (seen both) thing is a "Range Flag" or "Chamber Flag"
Some ranges require a flag inserted into the chamber of a semi-auto during cease fires.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
It is to insert into the chamber so a Range/Safety officer can see FROM A DISTANCE that the gun is unloaded. :!: "You" may know that the firearm is unloaded, (s)he doesn't, unless the flag is visible sticking out of the side of the firearm.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, so thats what its for..Good thing I didn't throw it away yet. I guess I'll keep it around just in case. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
hey welcome! i didnt know what the "flag" thing was either
until i sent the weapon back to springfield for finish repair....they sent it back to me with it installed
i was like wow check i out lol
seasons greetings from indiana

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
At my range the range bosses come check your gun in person. I said as I chewed on my little orange thingy. I'm about to join a new range where the rules are, do your own thing. This is the place I will be able to learn and do what I need to in order to be proficient in CCW. I'm kinda tired of the big city range crap. But I realize they have to have all kinds of range rules because they have to put up with all kinds of people with guns who are totally unsafe to be around. Can't do this, can't do that can't do the other. I need my freedom to do my kind of training. If the price is right I will be able to go out and double tap, rapid fire and practice quickdraw. And I can shoot out to 300 yards with my XP as well. It's cement and covered and the 50.00 (I hope) price tag includes all targets as well. I was told the only time you can join for the 50.00 price is in January. Guy that shoots out there told me the most people he has ever seen out there at one time is three.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I go to a pretty good range at the local Wildlife Club. It's $50 a year and they have 2 meetings a month where they serve food. I'm at the range at least once a week on a weekday and it's very rare that I ever see anyone else. It's a well kept secret and they limit their membership to 200 people.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Shooter Dan said:
I go to a pretty good range at the local Wildlife Club. It's $50 a year and they have 2 meetings a month where they serve food. I'm at the range at least once a week on a weekday and it's very rare that I ever see anyone else. It's a well kept secret and they limit their membership to 200 people.
Sounds like a great deal...and a nice place. Wish we had something comparable here (the free range in Hawaii looked nice too that Hawaii 5-0 gave us the link to:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/khsc/index.html

Seems like a public park. Nice concept. But I think I'd rather pay $50 a year and have more amenities. Either would be better than my $10 a day sweltering indoor range. Although in bad weather I guess it beats rain (no cold or snow down here to contend with).

Peace,
D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts