Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm organizing a skeet shoot for a group from work but I'm a total greenhorn when it comes to long guns and even more so for shotguns.

Assuming everyone is shooting 12ga, what kind of ammo would be a good bet to order a case of for skeet shooting? I'm sure this is like asking "what kind of 9mm is best" and there are a million personal preferences that go into it, but I'd appreciate the names/specs of a couple of readily available loads I could order so I can be hospitable to those I'm entertaining and not look like a total idiot.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Cheapest reliable stuff you can find. I got a case of estate for $60. I think it's 8 shot 1 ounce.

Federal target loads are around $25 per 100 at Walmart, or $6.50 per 25.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I'm organizing a skeet shoot for a group from work but I'm a total greenhorn when it comes to long guns and even more so for shotguns.

Assuming everyone is shooting 12ga, what kind of ammo would be a good bet to order a case of for skeet shooting? I'm sure this is like asking "what kind of 9mm is best" and there are a million personal preferences that go into it, but I'd appreciate the names/specs of a couple of readily available loads I could order so I can be hospitable to those I'm entertaining and not look like a total idiot.

Thanks
Good luck! It sounds like a disaster about to happen. I think things are not going to go well with the knowledge you have about skeet shooting.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Lead your target and follow through. Do not stop moving when the gun goes off. Since you all are new to this do not try multiple targets in the air at once. Practice busting the target and following it to the ground. Once you start busting multiple targets in the air you will have a limited time to follow your first target before moving onto the second. Gain your confidence with one before stepping up. As for ammunition, I use Remington gun club. 1 1/8 ounces of shot, size 8 shot. Usually sells for around six dollars for a case of 25 at Bass Pro shops. Barrel length and choke tube selection are two things to take into account as well. Best of luck to you all and happy shooting!

·
Banned
0 Posts
I have had great results with RIO game loads. I get them at academy for $52 for 250

·
Registered
2 Posts
Short answer:
Shell Length: 2 3/4
No. 8 Shot
Shot Weight: 1 1/8 OZ
Dram: 2 3/4
Velocity: 1145 fps

Something like Federal Top Gun shells.

This load is easy to find and not hard recoiling like some other target loads. Cheap too.

Longer answer: Contact the club where you intend to host this event. I'm sure they can set you up right and provide everything you need including safety instruction.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. Appreciate the recommendations.

For clarification, I'm not throwing the event. I'm just putting together a team for an event someone else is throwing and I wanted to buy a case of ammo for the group.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks all. Appreciate the recommendations.

For clarification, I'm not throwing the event. I'm just putting together a team for an event someone else is throwing and I wanted to buy a case of ammo for the group.
So are you McDonald's employees or accountants/lawyers- somewhere in between? I saw some cheap Federal 12ga at my candy shop for $60/case in 7.5 and 8 shot and on the website they had Win AA for $80/case but not in stock.

I would be in the somewhere in between group but I would grab Win AA to make an impression

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts