Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's the deal. I cannot find an AR anywhere in my local area for a decent price. Literally they're now asking $1300 + for anything in stock (DPMS, Bushmaster, Stag), on top of that is tax. I'm considering building an AR. Keep in mind I am completely new to all of this and just looking to get into owning an AR.

That said, if I ordered the following parts from Del-Ton, would I have a complete AR-15 after everything is assembled?

Parts as follows: AR-15 16" Mid-Length A2 Barrel Assembly
DTI (Del-Ton, Inc) Complete Lower Receiver with Buttstock

I'm aware that I'll need the lower shipped to an FFL, which I can arrange. But assuming I ordered those items from Del-Ton and can find someone to help me assemble it; will I be all set to go? I'm going to ask my FFL today what the requirements are for getting the paperwork to register it are, but what should I be ready to have filed (I've heard of a form 4, but have no idea what it means).

Thanks in advance, again I'm a complete newbie when it comes to AR's and I am sick of the price hikes at the local stores.

TMMR03

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
complete upper and. Omplete lower is what you will be getting no help needed just place the upper on the lower and push the take down and pivot pin into place

$630 for a complete AR (not including shipping and FFL) isn't a bad price at all

Del-Ton is basically a DPMS rebranded while it's not top shelf quality it will serve 95% of AR owners just fine

Basically all you will need for the lower is a color copy of your FFLs licence fax that over to delton with payment. And they will ship it to him

Once he has it go over fill out a 4473 and pick it up no different than buying from your price gouging brick and mortor store

·
Registered
208 Posts
The parts you have linked will give you a complete AR15. All you need is a mag and ammo.

A form 4 is normally for purchasing NFA / class 3 firearms. These include SBR, AOW, supressors, etc.... Ask your FFL is any state paperwork needs to be fill out for an AR15, but the item you have in the link IS NOT a class 3 firearm and does not require a form 4.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yes, if you order those two things from Del-Ton, you will have a complete rifle. As for needing help with assembly... If you buy a complete upper and a complete lower, it'll (seriously) take you 3 seconds and NO tools to put them together.

As for buying it all. Buy the lower and have it shipped to your FFL. The lower is the serialized "gun", so you do the same background check/4473 as any other gun purchase. No Form 1, 2 or 4 needed.

Order the upper on a second order (apart from the lower) and have it shipped directly to you at home. It doesn't have to go through an FFL, and if you order the upper and lower at the same time, you are buying a "complete rifle" and will need to pay an extra tax that is not required for buying "parts" (two orders, two different days to two different addresses).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I talked to del-ton today and most everything is in stock except for p mags. But I ordered a standard 16 inch, not a middy, so you might want to call before you place an order. The wait time will be long I warn you.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'm so glad I was able to get the last LMT 16" that Bravo Company USA had available ... :D

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Unless you live somewhere where you HAVE to register it with your state or local government, then the dealer will simply do a background check and after approval, it'll be yours. Your dealer will have all of that paperwork on hand.

If you ordered a complete upper and a complete lower, all you'll have to do is place the upper on top of the lower and push 2 pins through them to hold them together. No tools needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, I appreciate all of your guys' information. I ended up going to talk to my FFL guy and he had just gotten in a Bushmaster M4, so I snagged it for $963 w/tax. What can I say, I don't have patience. I may go ahead and order upper/lowers for another one in the future, we will see. Again thanks for all the info.

TMMR03

1 - 11 of 11 Posts