Springfield XD Forum banner

newbie question about cleaning

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  tigertonytigger 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought my first XD-40, so please forgive if I ask really beginner question.

I clean and oil my XD every time i come back from the range and wipe the slide surface with lubricated silicon rag after touching it, but when cleaning, I only use directions described in "Field Strip" in the manual. I.E.

1. I clean out the bore with bore brush and solvent then oil it inside and little outside;
2. Then I clean the recoil spring and oil it;
3. Then clean out the inside of the slide with bristel brush and solvent, but i don't really take anything apart in the slide, just the parts that are on the "surface" of the inside of the slide. Then oil it;
4. Then I clean the mechanism in the handle; again, just the parts on the "surface" w/o taking anything apart;
5. Then I put everything back together w/ oiled silicon rag (k-mart) without touching anything with bare hands.

My question is; I watch some videos on YouTube from expertvillage that go into more detail about cleaning XDs then the "Field Strip" in the manual. How often is doing more then I do neccessary?

I really do like cleaning the gun; so as a beginner i am worried i am not doing enough. Again please forgive if I am asking really newbie question.

TIA.

See less See more
#2 ·
Newbie here too Pete, so I think you asked a good question. I look forward to seeing what some other XD & XDM owners have to say.

#4 ·
I just bought my first XD-40, so please forgive if I ask really beginner question.

I clean and oil my XD every time i come back from the range and wipe the slide surface with lubricated silicon rag after touching it, but when cleaning, I only use directions described in "Field Strip" in the manual. I.E.

1. I clean out the bore with bore brush and solvent then oil it inside and little outside;
2. Then I clean the recoil spring and oil it;
3. Then clean out the inside of the slide with bristel brush and solvent, but i don't really take anything apart in the slide, just the parts that are on the "surface" of the inside of the slide. Then oil it;
4. Then I clean the mechanism in the handle; again, just the parts on the "surface" w/o taking anything apart;
5. Then I put everything back together w/ oiled silicon rag (k-mart) without touching anything with bare hands.

My question is; I watch some videos on YouTube from expertvillage that go into more detail about cleaning XDs then the "Field Strip" in the manual. How often is doing more then I do neccessary?

I really do like cleaning the gun; so as a beginner i am worried i am not doing enough. Again please forgive if I am asking really newbie question.

TIA.
Don't ever worry about asking "newbie questions". When it comes to firearms asking questions is an ongoing process for even the most experienced shooters.

You're gonna get allot of opinions on this one though as we all have our own way of doing things. Personally, the only thing I do to my pistols that you are not doing is clean and lube the mag maybe 2 or three times a year depending on how much you shoot. If you're at the range every day you may want to do that more often. You shouldn't need to disassemble the pistol any more than you are already doing for the purpose of cleaning. Visually inspect all the parts clean them as best you can without disassembling them. If you really think that it needs further disassembly you might want to take it to a qualified gunsmith. I would not recommend to anyone that they disassemble any firearm beyond the recomendation of the manufacturer. You're doing fine with what you're doing. Cleaning after each firing is a good habit to get into. However, don't forget that you can over lubricate a pistol and that can cause some problems as well. I usually apply a drop of oil to the inner workings about once every 5 cleanings. I run an oil patch down the bbl at each cleaning and then 2 dry patches. I use those gun wipes for the outer bbl and the exterior at each cleaning.

Hope this helps

#5 ·
What you are doing is great. It will take less then 7 min to clean your gun. It sucks when you take 5 or 6 guns to shoot and have to clean them all. Like Yosemite Sam said everyone has their own way of doing it and everyone will give their 2 cents but what you are doing is a good way. MY 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.