Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an XD 9mm sc & currectly just get the Walmart $10 / 50 rds stuff.

I just use it at the range and for a carry gun.

What (if any) anr the pro's & cons to buying the $15-$25 / 50 rnd ammo over the $10 stuff?

Thanks

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
If it's just plain ol' FMJ for range ammo, there's no benefit...buy the cheap stuff and shoot more.

Although, it's likely the cheap stuff is steel-cased Russian import; now, there's some folks that will tell you that it will: damage your gun, be unreliable, be dirty, cause global warming, insult your mother, and kick your dog. The folks who tell you this basically don't know what they're talking about.

Pretty much the only downfall of steel-cased ammo is that it's not reloadable (well, it can be, but it's a pain), and some ranges won't let you use it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
For SD you need to get quality HPs such as Gold Dots, HST, Ranger etc... Don't waste you time with the gimmick stuff, Hornady CD, Extreme shock, power ball, mag safe, RCBD, Glaser....

Any SD ammo should be tested before carrying, make sure it's reliable and shoots straight in YOUR gun.

Below is a list of quality HPs. They are not in best to worst order. Personally I would not go below 124gr and like the 147gr best.

9 mm:
Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
No real advantage if it is just for range fun. I usually spend a few extra and get the WWB instead of Blazer just because I plan on getting into reloading in the future and I want brass not cheap steel casings.
It is still pretty affordable, well it was until .40 went up $5 a box, but that is for another thread.
If you are talking self defense carry ammo, there is definately a difference between brands, and more expensive isn't always better either. I am sure Cuda will post a link before this thread is through, I think he has it saved permanentely in his cut-and-paste toolbar. Or you could run a quick forum search, I know I have seen it debated dozens of times on here.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I like Sellier & Bellot for target ammo. I can get it in bulk and the price comes out to about $9 a box, before tax. It's new, clean, brass cased ammo, and I've never had a single problem with it over the 2200 or so rounds I've fired.

For self defense, I went with the Golden Saber from the list above. I'm still pretty new to shooting, but I group pretty well with it, and I can easily get it at a decent price either locally or online.

·
Registered
100 Posts
get the cheap stuff for target shooting. Look online for deals on 1000 round cases.

I also use the Golder Saber and Hornady for Self defense.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Your XD9 will pretty much shoot anything you feed it. Cheap ammo = more range time. For SD get a good hollow point.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
For plinking the cheap WM ammo is just fine, I use it all the time.

For your carry gun you want something that expands more than it penetrates so no FMJ. Most people use some form of Hollow Point ammo. Which one to pick is a matter of personal opinion and, for some, what their guns like to digest. I agree that you should try to buy more than just one box cause you need to actually try it and shoot it.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
You need a quality hollow point for SD. I give a thumbs up to the list agalindo posted. I'll add that I carry Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. Lawman or Short Barrel daily in my XD9SC. "a" doesn't like lighter bullets, so I'll add the Corbon DPX 115 gr. to that list. It's proven in ballistics testing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts