Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a 1911, and do a little customizing of my own. Nothing difficult, just personalize it to my liking. Im on a budget and looking to do this long term. I need an inexpensive 1911 to start me off. I need something that can take most 1911 stock parts and isnt a piece of crap out of the box. When I was younger, I wanted a Norinco 1911, but since they are now scarce, I was looking at a few different brands. Please dont tell me to buy a kimber or colt, as they are soooooo out of my price range.

I was thinking of the Rock Island, ATI, or Auto Ordinance. I would get a Taurus, but there would be no reason to customize it, and thats half the fun. Plus, I have a thing against Taurus pistols (I dont know why). I saw a Remington 1911 that wasnt too pricey. Any suggestions?? Should I stick to the 45, or maybe try a 38 Super or 9mm?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a good platform that I can expand upon as I see fit, rather than make a much larger initial investment. Now, I know you asked for expert advice, and I can't help ya there, but I've been searching around, and I think I'll be going for a STI Spartan. I've seen a plethora of different customizations people have done, and it appears to have a pretty good interchange with other 1911 parts and options. Plus, the price is QUITE nice for a 1911, and most all the reviews have commended the tight fit.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
hands down if you can stomach the 489 get a citadel 5" .45 acp. if you can't afford it RIA Tac in .45 acp is a step down same company. Both shoot well out of the box, IMO with the improved look of the citadel and better fitting parts its much easier to deck out. Both are loose enough that any minor inconsistency shouldn't prevent smooth functioning, but still give sufficient accuracy for you to be the limiting factor.

IMO citadel, and order of improvements as I would do them but none need to be done. is G10 grips, heps the recoil so much(60 bucks). Fusion internal firing control gropu (95 plus 50-75 to have a smith install). Polish down the guide rod/bushing to make it slicker. TFO sights on top.

Do that and your gun will stack up in everything but resale value with a 1400 dollar 1911

IMO ou want a beavertail and extended safey so you can shoot this way, and you only have to replace parts one at a time as your budget allows (can't put a beavertail paired hammer in without a beavertail)
#

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
On the low end with a limited budget, I'd recommend a RIA Tactical.
Not the GI.
The GI will allow for alot of customization and upgrades, but a biggie is the sights and beavergrip. Frame has to be modded to accept a beavertail and you don't want the GI standard. It's gets to the web of your hand.
Sights on a GI model are just plain black on black. Not the easiest to see.
Already comes upgraded so you wouldn't have to modify your frame.
It'll take just about any 1911 part. Some with a little fitting.
That's a good starter 1911.

Just my 2 cents.... about how much I make a day..... :sad:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
On the low end with a limited budget, I'd recommend a RIA Tactical.
Not the GI.
The GI will allow for alot of customization and upgrades, but a biggie is the sights and beavergrip. Frame has to be modded to accept a beavertail and you don't want the GI standard. It's gets to the web of your hand.
Sights on a GI model are just plain black on black. Not the easiest to see.
Already comes upgraded so you wouldn't have to modify your frame.
It'll take just about any 1911 part. Some with a little fitting.
That's a good starter 1911.

Just my 2 cents.... about how much I make a day..... :sad:
maybe that's what he's looking to do.

FWIW, the RIA Tactical doesn't use standard Novak sight cuts, so that limit's options. The RIA is also cast and the GI is forged, so that might be another thing the OP wants to consider.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I want to purchase a 1911, and do a little customizing of my own. Nothing difficult, just personalize it to my liking. Im on a budget and looking to do this long term. I need an inexpensive 1911 to start me off. I need something that can take most 1911 stock parts and isnt a piece of crap out of the box. When I was younger, I wanted a Norinco 1911, but since they are now scarce, I was looking at a few different brands. Please dont tell me to buy a kimber or colt, as they are soooooo out of my price range.

I was thinking of the Rock Island, ATI, or Auto Ordinance. I would get a Taurus, but there would be no reason to customize it, and thats half the fun. Plus, I have a thing against Taurus pistols (I dont know why). I saw a Remington 1911 that wasnt too pricey. Any suggestions?? Should I stick to the 45, or maybe try a 38 Super or 9mm?
here's my Project R1 in it's current state.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive seen alot of great mods. Im not a comp. shooter really so I dont need alot of fancy parts. I want to make a combat model. Def. need a beavertail grip safety, maybe a magazine well, and if possible, a double sided safety. Maybe a few other touch ups too. Trigger should be one of those hollow tactical triggers.

Id like to do some notches on the slide too someday.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I agree with cannibul...wait for the Ruger 1911.

The photos and reviews so far, have it out to be a great 1911 for not much more than the Philippine cast 1911s or other basic 1911s.

I know that if the Ruger 1911 had been around when I bought my GI...I probably would have bought the Ruger. My GI has been a great pistol, but the Ruger has more features and is built here for not much more dough.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I woulnt mind the Ruger, but I noticed theyve been getting pricey. I remember when they were considered economical...

The Remington is really looking good to me, but since my 870 rusts at the drop of a hat Im a little leery. The leader right now is the RAA 45.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The Ruger is going to be $650, that's what a local shop has them listed for. On another forum, hats about the average price when people asked about them, with the low price being $629.

No rust issue with the R1 and I've had it almost a year. I got mine when they first came out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts