Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out today and put a little over 100 rounds through my XDm 9mm today and ran into a few things that I have some questions about (first time out w/ it, and the first time out ever w/ a pistol - I had sooooo much fun - I love this gun!) Anyway - questions I have:
1. I was out alone and had been worried about things that could go wrong, and some of them did. One was I had a fail to fire - the way I took care of it was to release the magazine, and when I did, the cartridge fell out, too. Was that the right thing to do? and also, could I have caused it by loading incorrectly?
2. I also had 4 times that the spent cartridge did not eject fully so it locked the slide. What did I do wrong that made that happen? Limp wristing? Incorrect loading of the magazine? Something else?

The range I use is not open during holiday weekends so I won't be going out again until next week, but before I go out again I really want to know what I'm doing wrong. I do plan on calling the instructor I used to get my CCW for a private lesson, however, that will probably still be a couple of weeks out, so I need to know what I need to change before then. Thanks for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
1. Maybe a bad round, not sure...do you still have the round?

Look up "tap, rack" on you tube....see if you can find thunder ranch vids and watch them 3 or 4 times.....good advice for removing malfunctions.

2. Limp wristing, or your thumb hit the slide lock......90% chance it was your thumb.....try shooting it left handed for a few mags and see if the issue goes away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With a fail to fire, just wait about 10 seconds before you do anything while keeping it pointed in a safe direction (duh), then drop the magazine, eject the round and lock back the slide to check for any obstructions in the barrel. You may want to cycle the slide a few times without the magazine just to make sure its operating smoothly.

If everything checks out fine, then your good to go.

Thats odd that the round dropped out when you ejected the magazine :/ Was it a fail to fire or did it fail to cycle completely and it jammed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
What ammo manufacturer (Magtech sux)? Was it reloaded ammo ? Was your gun well oiled ? Often my .45 wont lock back after emptying a magazine. Lots of things to consider, only more shooting will make you a better at dealing with issues that arise.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input - this is helpful. I'll be going out a couple of times this upcoming week and will see what happens. I do believe the gun was well oiled, but I could be wrong. I do know that I wasn't holding it correctly at all times, as I worked a sore spot on the base of the thumb of my right hand (I shoot right handed), so I'm going to pay more attention to my grip to see if I can figure something out there. I think a lesson in the very near future is definately a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Be real careful about 'well oiled'. An XD or XDm will run much better with NO oil than over oiled. None ever in the striker area and maybe a drop or two to do the entire rest of the pistol.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Was the primer struck on the round that failed to fire? The primer (center of the back end of the casing) should have a dent in it. Like such ...

If the primer didn't have a "dent" in it like the two above, you may have oiled the firing pin and have "gunk" (technical term) built up in the firing pin channel. If so, it needs to be cleaned out with a solvent/cleaner that does not have a lubricating agent.

About the locked slide .... Did it lock back completely or did you experience what is commonly known as "stovepipes"? Stovepipes look like this ...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went out this past weekend and put 300 rounds through it - I had no problems at all. I did change my grip, which probably had a lot to do with it. I think I was probably limp wristing before. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.
I also appreciate the person that put the info about over oiling - I cleaned my gun this weekend after firing and probably did over oil it, just to make sure that under oiling wasn't an issue when I shot the time before. I guess I'll re-clean it before going out again to make sure I haven't over oiled!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah I watched up on a bunch of videos before cleaning my xdm40c for the first time, went to the range after the first cleaning and was pretty worried but I haven't had 1 malfunction through 350 rounds.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What causes this? This happened one time when I fired my friends xd40sc for the first time.

Sorry for threadjacking!

About the locked slide .... Did it lock back completely or did you experience what is commonly known as "stovepipes"? Stovepipes look like this ...

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
340 Posts
I believe stovepipe's are mainly caused from limpwristing. Letting your wrist break as you shoot won't let the slide fully cycle and it will catch the casing before it fully ejects.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
What causes this? This happened one time when I fired my friends xd40sc for the first time.

Sorry for threadjacking!

[/QUOTE]

Stovepipes are caused by a number of different things... the most common is a weak hold (limpwristing), but it can also be caused by incorrect spring weights for the loads you are using, dirty/sticking recoil spring, dirty or damaged ejector or possibly extractor, poor maintenance... etc...

What happens in all of these situations is the slide either doesnt go back all the way, or the brass doesnt eject properly... then the slide catches the spent brass as it cycles forward to chamber the next round.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is exactly what happened to me a week or so ago when I went out! I truly believe I was limp wristing and that's what caused it. I didn't have any problems the last time I was out when I changed my grip.

I notice you're from MN, Danny_Boy - where abouts?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I went out this past weekend and put 300 rounds through it - I had no problems at all. I did change my grip, which probably had a lot to do with it. I think I was probably limp wristing before. Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.
I also appreciate the person that put the info about over oiling - I cleaned my gun this weekend after firing and probably did over oil it, just to make sure that under oiling wasn't an issue when I shot the time before. I guess I'll re-clean it before going out again to make sure I haven't over oiled!
I have never seen what an "over-oiled" gun does, or looks like.

Can someone here share that bit of wisdom with me?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I have never seen what an "over-oiled" gun does, or looks like.

Can someone here share that bit of wisdom with me?
Just gums stuff up depending on if the excess oil/grease is in a place where gsr and etc. normally deposits... like if you lube up heavily around the chamber, feed ramp, extractor, or the striker area and dont wipe down the excess before you go shooting... it will turn into a thick black gunk (ie gummed up):-?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts