Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm a newbie when it comes to handguns, I've shot them before but have never owned one for myself; that all changed today. I purchased my first, a XD M 40. I did a bit of research and I really liked the reviews on this particular handgun. It's primary role will be home security, but since it's also my first, there will be a good deal of range time involed as well. Anyway, I am extremely pleased with the 40 so far and I expect I'll continue to be. As far as being a newbie, any advice or tips you are willing to offer up, I'm willing to listen. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As far as advice goes, in my personal opinion, no matter how many guns you get (and yes, you will buy more), if you have a primary self-defense pistol, then that should be the gun that sees the most range time.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Well, I'm a newbie when it comes to handguns, I've shot them before but have never owned one for myself; that all changed today. I purchased my first, a XD M 40. I did a bit of research and I really liked the reviews on this particular handgun. It's primary role will be home security, but since it's also my first, there will be a good deal of range time involed as well. Anyway, I am extremely pleased with the 40 so far and I expect I'll continue to be. As far as being a newbie, any advice or tips you are willing to offer up, I'm willing to listen. Thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas to you!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Congrats on the (M)!!! I second the advice that's been given so far, to add my $.02 I have 3 things; shoot, shoot, oh yeah and shoot!!! Finally, welcome to the forum!!!

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome, I do have a few questions. Which cleaning kit do you guys recommend. I bought a Hoppe's tonight, it was a really cheap price and when I got home and opened it up, I can see why; all the bits that attach to the cleaning rod and the bit for running patches through the gun is very cheaply made. (Plastic) Now the other question, how often would I need to completely field strip the XD M, and with either way of cleaning the gun, I just want to make sure I do the best job I can do. So once again, all advice and/or help is appreaciated. Thanks in advance again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
At one time, several years ago, when I purchased my first firearm I thought all I'd have to do is point the weapon, pull the trigger and all the problems of any "situation" in my home or elsewhere would be solved. I did not have ANY idea of what I did NOT know until I went to Front Sight... Holy crap. I do not want anyone near me with a weapon, "good guy" or not if not trained, at least to the extent of being comfortable and safe with his or her weapon under pressure.

Training is no guarantee of a positive outcome, and situations may vary immensely as would our reactions trained or not, but at least you will learn SOME of what it is you have no idea that you did not know!

Firearm safety under pressure, malfunction clearance, tactical considerations, various "what if's", trigger control, sight picture under stress, legal considerations, etc, etc, etc... Please, go visit Front Sight, Thunder Ranch, Gun Site, or a similar training facility, you WILL be glad you did!

Anybody else agree?

Places to visit and consider for training or freedom in general: Front Sight Firearms Training Institute Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership - Homepage Home Media Research Center Home Page - 12/26/2008 10:23:41 PM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Otis makes good cleaning kits and they're compact so you can have it with the gun at all times. If you haven't already, try to find a good NRA approved training course to learn the basics, other more advanced training is great, take it if you can, but at least get the basics and always follow the rules of safe gun handling.

Stock up on some spare mags now while they're still available and legal, and as much ammo as you can afford. Practice as much as possible, and get your concealed carry permit if allowed where you live. Join the NRA to protect your 2nd amendment rights, and if you can afford it, get a twin your gun as a backup, just in case.

Finally, get a safe or other secure means if storage if you can. A small fire proof safe isn't that expensive and is amazingly handy around the house for keeping important papers, mementos and valuables. A real important part of a total home security package in my book.

BTW: Excellent choice for your first gun, even if you never get another you've got a darn good weapon for home & personal protection.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone again for the advice, Otis seems to offer several great kits. I guess the one I'm looking for is an all caliber kit? As far as the NRA I did indeed join. I'm a proud American and am even more proud of the rights given by our constitution and defended by our young men & women in the military. So my decision to join a group like the NRA, who for decades has been fighting to preserve the right of Americans to own and bear firearms, was easy. But cleaning kits, patches, finding a good indoor range etc... that has and will be a little bit of a learning curve for me, I'm kinda of a left brain. But I have inquired about a basic pistol safety course offered through the NRA and am going to get my concealed carry permit asap. Thanks Again

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome To The Dark SIde:twisted: You know that one just isn't enough!!!!!!

Be Safe and Please make sure you join THE NRA!!!!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tips--keep your finger off the trigger till ready to fire. Half or more of the people at public ranges have their finger on the trigger as they pick up their weapon. Use your holster as an excellent means to sheild the trigger area.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another addition, I signed up for the Intro to Handguns class, and after taking this one I'm going to take the CCW class for my state. I also found an indoor pistol range near my house so I can practice, practice, practice.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
Another addition, I signed up for the Intro to Handguns class, and after taking this one I'm going to take the CCW class for my state. I also found an indoor pistol range near my house so I can practice, practice, practice.

Another responsible citizen, great job! :D :D

Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have a XDm 40 and really like it. As for a cleaning kit I made up my on by picking up a plastic cleaning rod at a gun show with a plastic bore brush and a copper one. I use shotgun patches I cut to size, cheaper to get a bag of a thousand and they lasst a long time.
I like grease for the slide and oil for pivot points and Hoppe's for bore cleaner.
The XDm is a fine handgun, a little harder to conceal for some but accurate and reliable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts