Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and new to the XD-.45 I LOVE THIS GUN, This replaced my Colt.45 Series 70 Combat Commander.
My XD-.45 has out performed my Colt already. I've had NO hangfires, missfires, stovepipes. It will eat any ammunition I've fed it thus far and is out of the box accurate, comfortable and therfore I'm guessing it will be reliable. (something my Colt was not)

:confused: Question...I know this has probably been beat to death and I did some searching, but am still learning my way around here.
I want to try lasers. My eyes are getting bad and having real problems with bifocals. What is the best option for laser, I am familiar with CrimsonTrace. I would like something that I don't need new hosters for. I currently use Galco paddle and shoulder hosters. Also have a Blackhawk Serpa hoster. I don't think I care for the Rail mounted bulky looking laser?
Any and all comments from those of you using them would be greatly appreciated. I'm also guessing this would aid in my eyeglass problem at the range? What types are recommended, and are they worth it? I thought someone said you could replace your guide rod with a laser? Is that true?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk Tundra, from Texas, and to the Springfield family. "Shhhhhhhh" about that 1911. LOL!! Some would say Blaspheming! ;)

Great choice ya made there, it will serve you well. As far as that laser...your already on the right tract.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Welcome. Lasermax and others make a guide rod laser but most I've read prefer the CT grips. I tried it for a while but it didn't work well for me when shooting on the move. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Welcome to the fourm from Louisiana. I use a rail mounted LaserMax mounted on the rail of the bedroom gun.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tundra,
Welcome to the forum. I just bought a XD45 with the 4'' barrel from a buddy that came with the laser max guide rod laser. I took it off and went with the sights only. I am not crazy about lasers and if your interested in a used one let me know. I will let it go cheap!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Not crazy about lasers myself, I find them too distracting. I would check out the laser max guide rod lasers, crimson trace, or viridian.
You might check into the CT unit that wraps around the grip. Personally, I felt it would make the grip too big for me but maybe you'd be okay with that.

I've tried the railed laser and now think a good light is the way to go.

Good luck and "Welcome".:D

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Hello! And welcome from Central Florida!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk Tundra, from Texas, and to the Springfield family. "Shhhhhhhh" about that 1911. LOL!! Some would say Blaspheming! ;)

Great choice ya made there, it will serve you well. As far as that laser...your already on the right tract.

No blasphemy call since is was a Colt...:shock:

Congrats on the XD Tundra and welcome to the forum.

I have a CTC on my Ruger LCP, it mounts in front of the trigger guard.
Also the LCP sights are non-existent..
But I'm not big on lasers that mount on the grip area.
My finger off the trigger blocks the laser in those situations.

For example the CTC grip on a my P239..

My natural finger off the trigger rests on the side of the frame, blocking the laser.
I need to acquire the target, BEFORE, I can put my finger on the trigger...
I ended up selling the CTC for that pistol.

Unless you're left handed, I wouldn't recommend the CTC for the XD.

With failing eyesight you might try XS Big Dots sights.

XS Sight Systems - Sights

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had the same vision issues and experimented with alternative sighting solutions. I am running CT lasers on three carry pistols and here are my observations.

They are useless in daylight. Sights are faster in most situations, even weak sight pictures. They may be helpful in very dark situations and at very close range. IMO, the ideal application is on J frame Smiths and the like because they are hard to sight even under ideal situations. And still only at belly gun ranges.

They can be helpful training aids.

Large dot sights are a better general application solution.

Best solution is corrective lenses if they can work. I wore contacts for distance and readers for close.

My problem was solved by cataracts and surgery to correct. The Dr inserted a new lens that was a half doppler shy of 20/20 on my right eye, and I can see my sights again!

CX

1 - 14 of 14 Posts