Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting to get an AR for some time now and have managed get a $600 budget for a purchase/build. Here is where I need some help. Do you all think its best to buy something cheap (just to say I have one) or should I take the time and buy the upper/lower separate.

I am just throwing a feeler out there right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I built my AR piece by piece, and for the amount of money I spent I got better quality parts.
Ive heard the same thing from a lot of folks. I admit to not being the most patient man it the world but in this case, I think I should. Hopefully I can find something on the forums that wont break the bank or the marriage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Save up a little more and buy a quality AR. Buy once cry once.
Spikes, Palmetto armory, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense....would be a great buy once cry once gun. A S&W AR would be a great starter bare min AR. But then again, it is your money. Just a friendly advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Save up a little more and buy a quality AR. Buy once cry once.
Spikes, Palmetto armory, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense....would be a great buy once cry once gun. A S&W AR would be a great starter bare min AR. But then again, it is your money. Just a friendly advice.
Great advice indeed! I will just be patient and build one I want.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I build my lowers and order upper assemblies to complete the rifle. Or atleast thats what I did for my first two rifles. My next one I plan to build all of it myself. I enjoy building them. It also gave me a better sense of whats going on and all the parts they make it work.

I would suggest taking your time and building what you want. But that all depends on what your intended use of the rifle is.

If you just want one to have one then here...
Palmetto State Armory 16" M4 Standard MOE Rifle Kit $529+$15 for shipping total $544
Spike's Tactical AR15 Lower Receiver $79.95+ free shipping to FFL
Troy Ind. Fixed Rear Battle Sight $62+ free shipping
Total $685.95 complete rifle
Side notes:
You will need tools so there could be additional cost for that but not much. Depends more on what tools you already have or have access to.
Also if you buy a complete rifle there is an additional %11 tax on it verse building it which there is no additional tax.
Both the websites I used to select parts usually have really good deals and pricing. You can build a variaty of rifles from just those two sites but there is endless other sites to grab nice parts from...
Hope that helps! :cool:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
M&A parts will custom build a kit for you if they dont already offer what your wanting. Yeah, options get expensive, but its cheaper than buying a complete gun and swapping out 2/3 of the parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As others have stated, you can either build/assemble it yourself or buy one from a quality manufacturer. If I were you, I'd save up a bit more and build em little at a time, if not to save money, to custom tailor it to your liking. There are plenty of folks on these forums who'll be more than happy to give you sound advice on choosing and assembling your first one.

Just a word of advice, Black Rifle Disease (BRD) is very infectious and I doubt there's a known cure for it :p

·
Registered
265 Posts
PSA. You can easily assemble a full, high-quality rifle for $600 from PSA all day long. If you stick to built uppers, and just assemble lowers, the only tools you need are a hammer, a punch, a screwdriver, and a pair of vise-grips with some tape wrapped around the jaws. A utility knife will help with the front takedown pin detent, but anything stiff and flat works (I used an old credit card).

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I picked up an M&P 15 sport for $650 great first AR to get you on the platform. It lacks a forward assist (looks better anyways more streamlined) but the went back to the original design where you use the scalloped section of the bolt itself and a finger on the support hand to gently nudge the action closed if a round fails to chamber. No dust cover as well but if you are not going to war or hunting it is perfectly fine.

The solid trigger guard on the M&P Sport receiver leaves no gap between itself and the grip. No sharp edge there to tear up your finger while the weight of the rifle is sitting on it during one-handed drills.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I also bought an M&P 15 Sport. Added a few things to it, but the stock gun is excellent quality, accurate as hell and has been 100% reliable. I love this rifle! Paid $599. It's carbine length, comes stock with iron sights, standard hand guard and an excellent Magpul pmag 30 round mag.

Most recent picture:

Picture with optics that I returned, before I added quad-rail and other stuff.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I also bought an M&P 15 Sport. Added a few things to it, but the stock gun is excellent quality, accurate as hell and has been 100% reliable. I love this rifle! Paid $599. It's carbine length, comes stock with iron sights, standard hand guard and an excellent Magpul pmag 30 round mag.

Most recent picture:

Picture with optics that I returned, before I added quad-rail and other stuff.
Good looking weapon!

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
What is your experience level with AR's?
I know very little about the platform, so the idea of building one seems a little overwhelming. Besides, how can I build one to my liking when I don't know what the hell the difference is in a lot of these parts?
What I am saying is, you won't know what you like and dislike until you experience it. Shooting many different kinds and styles would most likely be the best choice. Or at least get your hands on them and have someone knowledgeable explain the differences. This can be difficult however, since so many folks tend to have a favorite and will push you that direction without fully explaining the other options.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
What is your experience level with AR's?
I know very little about the platform, so the idea of building one seems a little overwhelming. Besides, how can I build one to my liking when I don't know what the hell the difference is in a lot of these parts?
What I am saying is, you won't know what you like and dislike until you experience it. Shooting many different kinds and styles would most likely be the best choice. Or at least get your hands on them and have someone knowledgeable explain the differences. This can be difficult however, since so many folks tend to have a favorite and will push you that direction without fully explaining the other options.
Great advice . . . for me as well!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I bought my first AR at a gun show, spent around $800 (all inclusive) for a Del-Ton 16" carbine with 1:9 twist and rifle feed ramps. It is not, what some would consider, the best AR on the market but I have had it for several years and have not had one single issue with it. I received an Trijicon TA31F ACOG as a gift and zeroed it and hit a golf ball at 100 yards—The rifle may not be the best AR out there but it is accurate and a solid built rifle.

I am now in the process of actually building another AR this time around and so far this is what I have invested into the project:

• Daniel Defense 16" M4 profile hammer forged 1:7 barrel
  • Daniel Defense flattop upper receiver
  • Troy Industries flip-up rear di-optic sight
  • Daniel Defense AR15 Lite Rail 9.5 FSP
  • JP Enterprise adjustable gas block FSB
  • Spikes Tactical lower
  • Gemtech/Vortex flash hider (yeah there will be a can in the future, LOL)
So far what I have purchased above has put me back more than the complete Del-Ton AR cost me but I have learned a lot from the build process and plan to build all my future AR's.

What I am trying to say is that you can purchase a $800 AR and it will perform just as well as a $1,500 or a $2,000 AR (of course this all depends on what barrel you are using since accuracy is effected whether you are using a stainless steel HBAR or a light weight barrel, etc...). So if you can't afford a high dollar rifle don't turn your nose up to some of the ones that are selling for under 1K, the bigger issue you need to look for in purchasing an AR, and of course this is my own opinion but, I would look for things such as a properly staked gas key. Of course this is not to big of a deal since you can easily fix a improperly staked gas key but if the AR manufacturer does this right you can almost assume that the rest of the rifle was built well.
There are a lot of other small things to look for but one I really pay attention to is can I push the take down pin out with the force of my thumb; this is one of those make or break deals when looking at AR's. If I have to get a punch to push out the take down pin, I will walk away. Of course this is just a small issue that some may not mind dealing with but something I set as a standard.

Of course if you should choose to build your first AR, I would tell you to go for it. I had no prior experience with my current build project but you learn quite a bit about how the weapon works when you start piecing one together. There are tons of resources where you can learn all you need to know about building an AR, this site as well as other forums have extremely knowledgeable people that will be glad to help you in a build project. That way you can purchase a piece at a time...or when money becomes available.

On a final note, you will find some people out there that will tell you that some of the cheap low end AR's such as Del-Ton, CMMG or DPMS (to name a few) are crap and will not stand up to the more expensive Colt, Daniel Defense, LMT, Daly...
Sure the more expensive AR's have a better bolt carrier group and better barrels and are 100% milspec (milspec is just a fancy military word that just means that the parts are built to the military's specifications so that the parts are guaranteed to fit with no issues) but that does not mean that they will out perform the cheaper AR's. Just do your research before purchasing an AR and ignore the brand loyalists that will try to push a 2K rifle on you...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts