Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be buying my first pistol (an XD) soon and I will need to pick up all of the associated cleaning and maintenance items at the same time. I've read a lot of posts on here about various products, however I'm not sure what the ideal "maintenance kit" would include.

Please consider this from the point of having nothing yet but the pistol itself.

Thanks for any tips you guys can provide.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you aren't wanting to get totally expensive Walmart has you covered.

There's a nice deluxe kit at walmart for roughly $20 and its more than enough to get you started. Also some other things that come in handy.

-Bore brush (brass) that is particular to your barrel caliber
-Equate brand (walmart brand) q-tips
-Paper towels

I also found if using a nice kitchen table or desk that you don't want nitro solvent on, clean and sit your stuff on paper plates (the good thick ones, not the charlie cheapie ones)

The other thing I suggest is a spray can of RemOil, I tend to like it better than the normal gun oil in a bottle.

·
Registered
802 Posts
FunkyJunk said:
I'll be buying my first pistol (an XD) soon and I will need to pick up all of the associated cleaning and maintenance items at the same time. I've read a lot of posts on here about various products, however I'm not sure what the ideal "maintenance kit" would include.

Please consider this from the point of having nothing yet but the pistol itself.

Thanks for any tips you guys can provide.
From a newbie turn to average guy, I can tell you that the highspeed low drag otis systems look awesome and squared away.

But, you can get the same thing buy going to a gun show/gander mountain and buy the basic patches, cleaning supplies, rods, whatever for a fraction of the cost.

So get some patches that fit you caliber (9mm or 40SW)
Copper Cleaning Rod
Silicone Gun Clothe
Hopps or Eezox or equivalent
Toothpicks
Q-tips

That should start you off..

·
Registered
109 Posts
also found if using a nice kitchen table or desk that you don't want nitro solvent on, clean and sit your stuff on paper plates (the good thick ones, not the charlie cheapie ones)
Or just get you a good cardboard box to do your cleaning on. This will soak up your spilled solvents and oils

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts