Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully some will read and reply!!!

Ok, we (me + fiance)have done the research (reading and ranging), then we purchased our first gun. We were looking at the G19 and the XD-9 SC. We both agreed that the XD was much more comfortable in grip for the two of us and decided on it, most other factors were also in favor of the XD but not all. So it turns out that I am pleasantly impressed with the overall performance....she is not!
The purchase date was 12/02/08 and since, we have put 350 rounds through it, 95 hers, the rest from me. If i may, I would like to reference and recommend this post which has and will always help me with shooting"...http://www.glockfaq.com/trigger.htm In my travels, I cant recall where I found this partiular link but I did save it and will refer to it often prior to the range. I do credit all authors of this very informative post....Thank you all!

ok...I found my groupings to be after 255 rounds within a 2" radius just outside to the center, left of the bullseye of an oval target (always in the 8-9 point range, mostly 9) at 15 yds. I am very impressed that I can keep such a grouping but I am also very disappointed that is not where I have been targeting. My fiance has had some success in shooting but not much, 1st shot of mag has been very good but then many fliers thereafter, I contribute this to nerves and trigger squeez. I can say she hasnt read the link mentioned and it will def benifit her when she does without a doubt but she has been improving noticably with practice alone.
With my grouping patterns, I asked the Shop/range owner to critique my ability or lack thereof. I was told my grip and squeeze were solid after he watched me fire the weapon. He then reloaded, shot and found the same result by putting his expertly aimed shots through my previously made holes. He (being a Glock guy) retreived a rental G17 and let me and my lady fire off 5 rounds apiece, of which we both nailed dead center, still from 15 yards! ( i know, longer barrell)
Dag, I really wanted to love the XD-9 and I do! but to see her improvement with the glock compared to the XD after we agreed upon what we thought a had a better feel, then to follow up with a combinbed perfect 10, hearing the owner yell "bullseye" everytime we ripped the paper made me think. So I did, then researched this wonderful forum and concluded; instead of sending the Xd-9's slide to springfield to have the sights readjusted, I am going to install some nightsights and buy her the glock she prefers...To each their own, I still do love my XD-9!

By the way, another rookie question I answered for myself...
Q: "Do I need nightsights"?
A: "Yes" Stand in a dark room and practice your dry fire (obviously after you triple check to be sure it is not armed), make your Point of aim somewhere in a lighted room, I found it very hard to acquire or re-acquire the front sight. The contrast between the the factory sight in a dark room and the target in a lit room were to similar, making it difficult to be positive where your shot would be placed!

Thanks for reading!

PS. I will take pictures of my groupings and post prior to getting my night sights installed, as I know this is proper procedure after "talking about your groupings". Oh yeah, ammo was American Eagle 115 gr FMJ.
I am only a rook and look forward to everyones opinion.
After this lengthy post, I do expext backlash!

·
Premium Member
127,757 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. I love my XD9SC, but it's not the best choice for everyone. Finding the right pistol is a very personal decision.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome from south FL! You are learning and and really wise to have your lady involved in shooting with you. I started out sharing guns with my wife but soon she wanted her own. She is a S&W 'wheel gun' girl and I am a 1911 and XD9 guy. We get along well and share a loading bench.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Premium Member
3,194 Posts
Hello and welcome from Wisconsin

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum from CT.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!

I love my XD9 and XD40 Tactical (I use it for competition). I also have a G17, that too is a nice toy!

I was always told: "accuracy is in the shooter, not the gun."

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts