Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just signed up for the site, and about to make a purchase from bud's gun shop later tonight/tomorrow. I'm completely new to guns but I'm doing my research before I get it in my hands.

This is going to be my first gun. I'll be getting a XDM compact 3.8 9mm. I've shot 5-6 different guns over the past few weeks and that one was by far my favorite. Felt great in my hand, shot great, I was really impressed. And bud's seems to have a great price on it at $550, I've been to 6-7 gun shops around me and everywhere is priced $650-750

I have a question though. I figured I'd buy some eye/ear protection from bud's also. How much of an advantage is the electronic ear protection? I didn't want to get a super expensive pair, but I was looking at these.

HTU VBSR0061 SR112 ELEC STERO MUFF GR $26.17

I read that when a shot goes off it "mutes" the muffs, but my question is if I'm standing there talking to someone and there are 3 other people on the range shooting, are the muffs going to keep muting themselves so that I can't hear the person I'm talking to? I'm not sure if I should get a cheap pair of the electronic muffs or just a standard pair of normal ear muffs.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Hello and welcome from Northern California!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Welcome. I use standard muffs with the highest rating I could find locally. Works great for me at the indoor range I frequent. Have heard positive things about the electronic versions but I haven't tried them myself. Good luck!

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Welcome to the fourm from Louisiana. I uwe the standard muffs also at the indoor range.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome from Iowa
Both my wife and I have the electronic sets. They work great

·
Premium Member
127,415 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. As a firearms instructor I believe that electronics muffs are definitely worth the cost.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice.

Are those cheaper electronic ones worth it or is that something that I should invest a little more into to get a good pair?

I have no clue what the difference is between a $25 pair of electronic ear muffs and a $90 pair.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming

·
Registered
480 Posts
First off... Welcome to XDTalk!

I use standard ear muffs with a NRR of 31 which I got from Amazon.com for less than $20. You can always double up on protection by using ear plugs which you can buy really cheap.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome from NE Texas, Dallas area, and welcome to the Springfield family. These pistols are greatness for what is paid for them. Just don't know how it could get any better. You will be very pleased with your purchase. Give it some breakin time, and youll find that when you get past the 500-750 rd. mark, it becomes much more smooth, like silk.

As far as "muffs", I do not care for them. Just don't care for that extra weight and bulk on my head, nor condusive to wearing a hat. But...each to his own. I wear 33db soft foam earplugs, and just remove one during a cease fire. Wear the same type inside my motorcycle helmet too, so have become very acustom to them. As far as the "electronic" muffs, I would think that the old addage would hold true here too. You really do get what ya pay for. So don't be chincy with your equipment, when you have a First Class pistol. Would think "springing" the little extra will make ya much more happy.

Best of luck, and will see ya around the fourm!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome from McKinney Texas. I use the small in-ear jelly ear plugs that have a NRR of 28 db. I have not used the electric ear muffs but it wouldn't hurt to try them and see if they work well for you. All of the electric ear muffs I have looked at activate the sound compression after a set db level is detected, so it would depend on how loud the range gets while you are talking and not shooting.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya I'm excited to get this gun. I had never even heard of XDs until I was talking to a friend who is ex-swat. He suggested a bunch of different guns, saying to try them all and see which feels best to me. One day he comes up to me and says "hey, I just shot this XD9 yesterday. It was amazing!". I went out a few days later and shot an XD and XDM. He was right. I liked everything about it better than any of the other guns I had been shooting.

I can't wait to own one

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Welcome from Ft. Myers Florida. I suggest getting the muffs and regular ear plugs. My reason being that more than likely this will not be your last pistol and you more than likely will start to think about rifles sooner or later. When you do purchase a rifle the muffs may cause you issues when aiming. So get use to plugs while you are at it. :cool:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up ordering the electronic muffs that were a little more expensive than the ones I listed up above. We'll see how they work.

I'm already used to earbud headphones that block out sound and fit pretty tight, so going to earplugs probably wouldn't bother me. I'll grab some though when I'm at the range.

·
Premium Member
22,458 Posts
hello there

·
Registered
253 Posts
Welcome from NW Michigan!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts