Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Reloading Gods,

So I've been happy as a clam, rolling my .45ACP cartridges on my turret with abandon (over 1K now in a 1.5 months starting from zero). But it wasn't until today that I had a question about the cannelure.

I accidentally bought a bag of some 200gr RNFP bullets thinking they were the 230gr LRN I normally buy from my supplier. I figured no biggie, but I only rolled 10 just in case my XD .45 Tac didn't like these either (LSWC is the other no-no). Here's a pic:

$20140726_172735_resized.jpg

OAL was 1.229" for this 10-round test run and they performed flawlessly, but the cannelure could still be seen. Is an exposed cannelure something I should worry about? I ask because since this looks like a fairly large gap, I'm concerned about going under minimum OAL, which was listed at 1.191" for the bullet/powder combo I used just to ensure the cannelure gets pushed into the cartridge. I haven't worried about this until now because I've been pressing the 230gr LRNs I normally use all the way down to the start of the ogive because that's where my desired OAL for that bullet/powder combo was. Please advise...thanks.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
On a lead bullet, that is the crimp groove, as the bullet is designed for the 45colt as you know. The only issue will be if there is bullet lube around the case mouth & crimp groove & you drop rounds into the dirt. Otherwise, it just looks funny.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts