Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys love the forum, very informative so far. I pick up my first pistol Friday, an XD 4" .40cal. I do not know what kind of ammo to start off with to just get a feel for the weapon and test its functionality. I know each gun has likes and dislikes for ammo but what would be a good one to start with for practice before I go about choosing a defensive round? Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
WWB. It's all I practice with. No jams, no misfeeds, cheap, just plain old reliable. I shoot the 165 grain. Have fun shooting and remember, practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I agree with Old School. Go pick up a box of WWB and see if your gun likes it. Other ammo (that I actually like more) is CCI Blazer Brass. It's a few cents cheaper per 50. The WWB that I find is typically 165gr., while the CCIBB is typically 180gr.

In addition to that, I've shot Speer/CCI Lawman out of it and Federal Hydroshoks (my carry ammo) out of it. Just try lots of different stuff, see what it likes and what it doesn't.

And have fun. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
My feeling on range ammo is to buy the cheapest stuff you can get, that you are comfortable with shooting. If you want to buy a case of Wolf ammo, do it. It won't kill your gun.

If you compete or this is a carry gun, that is another story. As a gamer, I like to tune my loads. I use factory ammo (ARMSCOR) for practice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
gsh341 said:
WWB. It's all I practice with. No jams, no misfeeds, cheap, just plain old reliable. I shoot the 165 grain.
+1 I pick up the 100 round value packs and haven't had a single issue so far with my 4" .40cal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
WWB Value Pack from Walmart (100 rounds/$18 ) or Remington UMC Value Pack from Academy Sports (250 rounds/$42 ) are both great choices for break-in/range ammo.

If you are using the gun for home defense/carry then I recommend running a couple boxes of the ammo you plan on using through the XD, to make sure the gun likes it. I personally use Speer Gold Dot for defense purposes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your help guys. P/u'd a box of WWB 165gr. today at wally world. I'll let you know Friday how we did.

Jake

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Adiofile12 said:
Thanks for all your help guys. P/u'd a box of WWB 165gr. today at wally world. I'll let you know Friday how we did.

Jake
That is a great round to play with; you will be happy with it. Make sure your feedramp is polished and your gun is oiled. Have a good time and be safe.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I'd heard bad things about Wolf and one other brand. I dont carry if its a range gun or not, I wouldnt want to chance damaging something over a few cents more ammo.

Btw, I've already ordered a few boxes of CCI Blazers. Check out www.natchezss.com as they have good prices on CCI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts