Springfield XD Forum banner

Newbie Alert

783 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kabob983 
#1 ·
I have been lurking here for a few weeks and thought I would go ahead and make a post.

A few weeks ago I started looking for a handgun for protection and just to have something to do an evening or two a week. I started looking at some Glocks because I had shot the 27 and the 21 before. Well one of my friends showed me the springfield webpage. I really liked it and the next weekend I went to a local gunshow to check them out.

When I got to the gun show I went back and forth between two different vendors to handle the Glocks and the XDs. It was a really tough decision but the way the XD fit my hand felt so much better so I ended up getting a 5" XD-45LE.

Long story short I liked that gun so much I went and bought a XD-9 Subcompact this past Saturday. Now I am really itchin' to get that thing to the range and try it out. I will then have to decide which gun I want to qualify with when I take my CCW course Sunday.

#4 ·
Are you taking the course at Cold Creek Armory? I took the CCW course there. Either one is fine to qualify with, the qualification is EASY. You could probably have never held a pistol in your life and do fine on it. Even if you mess up you can qualify again. We had a woman who shot the qualification course, missed the target with every shot, and then turned to me and asked how to aim a pistol. Scary...

I just moved here from Knoxville (went to West High many years ago, my parents work at UT Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital). If you ever need parts or maintenance check out Guns Inc., there's some good people there. They can get you whatever you need.

Welcome to the forums BTW!

#8 ·
kabob983 said:
Are you taking the course at Cold Creek Armory? I took the CCW course there. Either one is fine to qualify with, the qualification is EASY. You could probably have never held a pistol in your life and do fine on it. Even if you mess up you can qualify again. We had a woman who shot the qualification course, missed the target with every shot, and then turned to me and asked how to aim a pistol. Scary...
Scary!!! I think places like that should be shutdown if they passed her. I would hate to be killed by someone who qualified and was not able to aim their gun. Then again my state requires no qualifications for CCW. It actualy requires you to have a CPL in order to take a course on CCW use. Talk about cart before horse.

I know this is not popular but I do think that a nationwide standard should be required for CCW with a fairly high bar for the quals and that a license should be valid in all 50 states with identical laws governing carry and use in all 50 states. It really bugs me that one needs to check laws for umpteen states before they can travel.

#9 ·
manygunner said:
I know this is not popular but I do think that a nationwide standard should be required for CCW with a fairly high bar for the quals and that a license should be valid in all 50 states with identical laws governing carry and use in all 50 states. It really bugs me that one needs to check laws for umpteen states before they can travel.
Damn strait... +1000

#10 ·
manygunner said:
Scary!!! I think places like that should be shutdown if they passed her. I would hate to be killed by someone who qualified and was not able to aim their gun. Then again my state requires no qualifications for CCW. It actualy requires you to have a CPL in order to take a course on CCW use. Talk about cart before horse.
The place did shut down. That was back when it was under a different ownership (Guncraft Sports). Not much has changed though, and I imagine that the CCW class is as easy as ever. There was a lecture for about 5 or 6 hours (which you could have slept through and passed) and the qualification. Not only that, but you can quality with a .22 and carry a .50 AE, so what the heck is the purpose of the qualification?

I think the entire purpose of the class is to "scare" people out of getting their CCW. People worried about having to pass a written/shooting test before they can carry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.