Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all! just aboght a new xd40 ported today.Can't wait to shoot it tommorow. just wanted to get some opinions on best night sights for my new XD. Also best colors? looked at TRUGLO TFO and Trijicons.Opinions and experiences appreciated. thankyou

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why do you need night sights. The flash from your ported barrel will light up you normal sights nicely! You would have lost your ability to see anything else but you should be able to see the sights clearly.

Sorry I am just giving you a hard time. I have some ameriglo and I like them. If you want something bright during the day go with truglo's.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
It is tough to compare the TRUGLO TFO sights with standard night sights, as they are different "animals". If you like the look of fiber during normal light conditions, the TFO sights are a great choice. If you like the look of dots, like on the stock sights, the Ameriglos are an excellent choice.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Anthony,

I agree with you, however we recently sold a dozen TFOs to a local PD where Trijicon sights were standard issue. Their Armorer made the call and now all officers run with TFO sights. The Armorer also noted that qualification scores for some of the officers have improved too. They carry Glocks and SIGs.

Scott

·
Registered
182 Posts
Old School said:
It is tough to compare the TRUGLO TFO sights with standard night sights, as they are different "animals". If you like the look of fiber during normal light conditions, the TFO sights are a great choice. If you like the look of dots, like on the stock sights, the Ameriglos are an excellent choice.
Can you elaborate on your comment Old School? During the daytime it seems that the TFOs would be fiber sights compared to white three dot, and at night all of the sights would be colored dots. Is there something else that you would add differentiates the sights?
-hype

·
Registered
182 Posts
Old School said:
Not really. At night, they both glow green. During normal light conditions is where the differences come in. Do you think I missed something?
Ok just checking.... I thought you were alluding to something with your comment
It is tough to compare the TRUGLO TFO sights with standard night sights, as they are different "animals".
-hype

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you search through some older posts, and I remember correctly, the Truglo TFO's get a thrashing. Warranted or not.

Seems the chief complaint was that the sights go bad if cleaned with certian solvents. Apparently the casing for the tritium is clear plastic and not glass. Also complaints about truglo being difficult when called for replacement under warranty. I read that Truglo had added a warning about cleaning with certiam solvents, but have not yet fixed the problem.

It was enongh for met to go with Trijicon. Love 'em buy the way. :)

However, I was very interested in the TFO, and would get them if they make the casing out of glass.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
emschris said:
If you search through some older posts, and I remember correctly, the Truglo TFO's get a thrashing. Warranted or not.

Seems the chief complaint was that the sights go bad if cleaned with certian solvents. Apparently the casing for the tritium is clear plastic and not glass. Also complaints about truglo being difficult when called for replacement under warranty. I read that Truglo had added a warning about cleaning with certiam solvents, but have not yet fixed the problem.

It was enongh for met to go with Trijicon. Love 'em buy the way. :)

However, I was very interested in the TFO, and would get them if they make the casing out of glass.
Although this was the case, TRUGLO is always reviewing their design. In regards to the case of the melting sights, it is the only case I am aware of and TRUGLO has tested many cleaning products on their TFOs since then. The only items that have an adverse affect on the fiber rods were the Gun Scrubbers/Brake Cleaners; things that should not be used on your slide anyhow. I suspect these would cause damage to any plastice, fiber optic rods.

Old School

·
Registered
373 Posts
i was considering buying some of these but worried about the same issue. i use hoppes number 9 to clean my gun and i use it on my slide also , would this affect the sights

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
TRUGLO said they tested the sights with Hoppes and had no issue. That said, it is best to contact them to see what was tested and what failed.

In the end, regardless of the product, there should be no reason to get it on the slide. Me, I clean my XDs with a cleaning patch and Eezox, followed up with a bit of Armadillo. I never had a reason for using anything more harsh than Eezox.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts