Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the BIG DOT installed on my XD9 service. Went to the range today and Oh MY GOODNESS! Talk about fast target acquisition. I really like the targeting and overall visual w/the Tritium. My grouping got a little bit tighter and alot more fun to shoot. Any BG's try to come around in the middle of the night will have to "Say hello to my little friend!"

·
Registered
219 Posts
I wouldnt mind having one on my PM40 or XDSC, but as far as my service models I like to shoot at further distances(beyond 50 yards), especially my xd357 which i somtimes like to play with large steel at 100 yards or sometimes even crazier distances. The BiG Dot seems like it would take alot of presision out of the gun the further you try an shoot.

although I cant imagine how fast it is at closer ranges. its got to be wicked fast.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Jeff_1 said:
I wouldnt mind having one on my PM40 or XDSC, but as far as my service models I like to shoot at further distances(beyond 50 yards), especially my xd357 which i somtimes like to play with large steel at 100 yards or sometimes even crazier distances. The BiG Dot seems like it would take alot of presision out of the gun the further you try an shoot.

although I cant imagine how fast it is at closer ranges. its got to be wicked fast.
I agree with you Jeff. The Big Dot would be great on man-sized targets in a defensive scenario at 15 yards and closer, but would be a detriment for competitive shooting. I believe that the small dot that they make would be a better overall compromise.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I just had the standard dot XS sights installed on my slide:
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=27917

The standard dot is only slightly larger than a standard front sight dot. I haven't gotten out to a range yet (this week hopefully) but I expect that accuracy won't be much affected. Still it's hard to imagine that a three-dot system wouldn't be more accurate.

But for quick sight picture acquisition, especially at combat distance, the XS 24/7 will be hard to beat.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, this is my first handgun. The first and foremost reason for having it is for defending my and the Mrs. So far I'm quite the novice, but having this forum has given my tons of insight and different perspectives. The farthest distance I train at is 25yds. Living in the state of California I can't have hi cap mags yet alone a ccw license unless I was a LEO or owned a gun shop. I guess the Big Dot may affect distance shooting, but at this point it doesn't bother me. So basically what I'm saying is that if SHTF at home I'll be shooting at no more than 10-15ft.

I figure if I ever want to get serious about shooting at a competitive level I would go to anXD in a Tactical model or a 1911. Hopefully soon. Merry Christmas to me!!!

However I gotta say it again. The speed of target acquisiton is sick!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the Big Dots on my Kimber and CZ75. They are really terrific sights.
A gunsmith broke a blade cutting out a groove on the CZ for the front sight, but it came out great.

I'm planning on getting Big Dots for the XD40 service when I save a little more moolah.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'm definitely sold on the XS sight system. I got to mess around with a set installed on a Hi-power. VERY fast indeed. They were the standard size without the tritium vials. Just gotta dot the I. 8)

Just FYI... The XS standard dot size is 2.8mm in diameter. I measure the stock white dot and it was close to 1.8-1.9mm in diameter.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll post pics of my XD w/the Big Dot sights as soon as I can find the battery charger for my digital camera.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
InspectorNugger said:
aggiez28 said:
can you post a link to where it is sold

brook
This is the best place around to buy them...James will even install them for free, which will save you at least 20-30 bucks at a smith or the frustration of doing them on your own...

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/sights.html
+1!!! Unless your a smithy yourself, Ajames' services are the way to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts