Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, about a week or so ago my wife bought a XDs 9mm 3.3. I have had one now for several months. We took my wife's new XDs out shooting the other day and it seemed to be shooting pretty low. She has shot mine before and never really had any issues hitting paper, and she usually shoot pretty dang good. She does not have a lot of experience shooting handguns (she grew up hunting so she does have experience with long guns.) when we were out shooting we were approximately 20 ish feet from the target. She had several shots completely miss the paper and the ones that did hit pretty low. After a bit she started aiming at the top of the target paper and began hitting near the center. She had some rounds that seemed to nose dive out of the barrel and burry themselves in the dirt 15 feet ahead of us. I shot her gun too and I was hitting a little lower than normal but not drastically lower. I'm no expert but I tried to help her a bit with her stance and trigger manipulation (she was using the joint) and it became a little better. Some factors that may have contributed are 1) the gun was fresh from the box, normally I clean all my guns before shooting them new but the range trip was kinda spur of the moment. 2) I bought some wolf polyformance ammo online for cheep since I can't find any target 9mm locally right now and I feel that this is pretty inferior ammo to the blazer I usually shoot. 3) it was pretty windy out that day and I think that made it difficult for her to get a steady sight picture before squeezing the trigger. (This North Dakota wind gets pretty intense sometimes)

What do you guys think? We hope to go out and give it another go soon but work has not been cooperating. I am kinda concerned about the shots that are not even making it to the target.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my first range trip with the XDS. I was really disappointed to be honest.
But, it was me, not the gun. After a week of dry fire and practicing my trigger control, I went back. Dead on!
Let her dry fire the crap out of it and then give it another go.
Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah she dry fired the gun hundreds of times before the range day and after. We were going to go today but she was called into work so we will have to find some time another day to go give it another shot.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Yes give time and lots of dry fire. Clean her up and lube it good and keep practicing. Trigger can be overcome . If it's over 7.7 lbs SA is obligated to make it right. Of course there is always the PRP spring kit to bring it down some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Side by side her trigger doesn't feel to different from mine but it's hard to tell exactly since I don't have a pull gauge.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So, did you have her fire yours again to see if it was her or the gun? Seems like there's a lot of investigative steps missing here. Bullets don't "nose dive" into the dirt. Shooters place them there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I understand that. That's why I'm asking what she could remedy in her stance to try and fix the low shooting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had some issues, initially, with my XDS .45 as well. After the first range trip, I was so frustrated I wanted to get rid of it. So I came on here and did some searching and a lot of folks were saying that thumb placement made a huge difference. I was initially shooting it like my XDM 9mm--thumbs high and forward. So I took the advice of others and lowered my thumbs drastically. I placed my thumb from my strong hand on the thumb indent on the lower frame, and the thumb on my support hand under the trigger guard. I also loosened my grip, as that was my natural reaction to compensate the muzzle flip. I started getting better grouping and on target. Hope this helps.

PS...I think the mods on my XDS .45 really help. I purchased the PRP spring kit and sent my gun to James. He installed the springs, and polished out the trigger bar and re-contoured the safety button. It drastically reduced the trigger pull and took the grit out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah I understand that. That's why I'm asking what she could remedy in her stance to try and fix the low shooting.
Too much finger? Not enough finger? anticipating the shot? Jerking the trigger? too big of a gun for a novice?
There is no short answer, is not only one thing what she can be doing wrong. There are multiple things that have to work together in order to shoot accurately and consistent. Look for some training for her so she learn the fundamentals, then focus on them and practice, practice, practice.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
1. Shoot the pistol from a rest
2. Have an experienced (read: someone that puts called shots on target with ease and can actually shoot groups) shooter fire the pistol

It has been my experience that when a random fellow or lady at the range is having difficulty with their pistols not shooting to point of aim, it is always the shooter's fault. However, there have been instances of pistols shooting "low" out of the box. At 20'ish feet, a pistol needing a different front or rear sight will be a few inches low. Hitting the dirt at the 15' mark tells me that the little pistol is flipping the new shooter out, and she's flinching something fierce. Just watch the pistol when she fires, bet the muzzle drops quite noticeably right before the shot breaks. Or, she doesn't know what a proper sight picture looks like.

Anticipation is what we're dealing with here, more than likely. Do an exercise with her - load her magazine for her while she's turned away and load inert snap caps randomly into the magazine. She will not know that the pistol won't go off and will exhibit her bad habits which will be easy to spot at the moment the trigger is pulled and the striker is released.

Whether she knows it or not, she's scared of the pistol, the noise, or the concussive blast. There's plenty of resources on the 'net to help diagnose and remedy those issues, but the best thing to do is get her some professional training in a class oriented for female shooters.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Slip a snap cap in the magazine without her knowledge, about the 3rd round. Watch what happens when the round doesn't go off. You will be able to tell immediately if, or how much, she is flinching.

Never mind. GT Jon beat me to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts