Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post here on XDT though i have been around reading and research a little bit. My primary carry gun had been a M&P 40c for a while, and then i bought my first compact 1911, a Springfield EMP 40. I love the EMP, thinner profile than my M&P, so have been carrying it instead. Only down side is that being the 40 it has a steel frame, not aluminum like the EMP 9. So i had been kicking around the idea of getting an XDs 9, as I have grown to love Springfields quality and customer service.

I sold my M&P this week and just bought a XDs 9 last night. When i got home i stripped it down to inspect it and give it a cleaning to remove any possible unwanted grease or oil film, especially in the striker channel. Once cleaned up everything looked pretty good, but i did notice a few things on the quality side that i wanted to share/ask about.

On the left inside of the slide i noticed some not so pretty tooling marks or something that did not really appear to be normal, but i wasnt sure. What do you guys think?

Also, there are quite a few pretty decent marks that seem to be through the black coating on the barrel. Keep in mind, this gun is brand new, and has not been fired except for at the factory.

If you guys think these are normal marks and/or its going to look like this anyway after 50rds, im not too worried aboit it. Its going to be my EDC gun anyhow. Just looking for some outside opinions.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The tooling marks wouldn't concern me much (maybe because they don't look that bad in the picture), but the marks on the barrel would. Heck, mine doesn't look that bad and I've had it for nearly two years now and I've shot it quite a bit. I'd box it up and take it back to the place I bought it and have them replace it with a new one. And I'd carefully inspect the replacement before leaving the store... :cool:

·
Registered
199 Posts
A few wear marks on the barrel..normal. But that actually looks pitted. Yeah. Return to sender

I just picked up a used last night and nothing like that. Just the normal lockup marks

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I have over 300 through my xds 9 and the barrel doesn't have nearly that much wear on it. Doesn't look new to me. I think you have a valid concern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
340 Posts
Return to sender. Something's definitly wrong with the barrel or the slide for it (the barrel) to look like that after being only fired once. The marks on the slide look normal though.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I wouldn't personally be too worried about the marks on the inside of the slide, but those marks on the barrel do not look right. They appear to deeper than just on the surface, but hard to tell for sure.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
agree with the rest--that barrel is jacked-up needs to go back to the mothership for sure...

are you certain it was new? :shock:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish i would have read all the responses sooner. My phone needed charged when i got home from work. While it was charging i was out side and decided to put 50 rounds thru it.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I wish i would have read all the responses sooner. My phone needed charged when i got home from work. While it was charging i was out side and decided to put 50 rounds thru it.
still needs to go back to SA...they won't care about 50 down the pipe...also, did you send in your info for the Gear Up promo?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes im certain it was new. I just took the barrel out and looked at it, it seems like its even more marred up now. It cycled fine, but i suppose i will call springfield monday.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A few wear marks on the barrel..normal. But that actually looks pitted. Yeah. Return to sender

I just picked up a used last night and nothing like that. Just the normal lockup marks

... how can a barrel be 'old' than the gun itself?
Other than the fact someone might have placed it in another gun and fired the hell outta it.. but then why would someone do it?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
... how can a barrel be 'old' than the gun itself?
Other than the fact someone might have placed it in another gun and fired the hell outta it.. but then why would someone do it?
I don't understand your inquiry...pitting doesn't mean "old" exclusively...could be factory mess-up they missed or a dipsh*t gunstore clerk...lots of explanations would fit...

SA Customer Service is open Op...give em a ring...1 (800) 680-6866

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just cleaned it up to get a better look and see if there is more wear after the first 50rds. This is 100% clean . . . . .

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
As you can see the wear got worse, and there is now visible wear on top of the chamber.
yeah...looks to be something fishy going on...do not fire it again...call SA asap

·
Registered
503 Posts
That barrel is defective. Definitly give SA a call, they will make it right.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have two xds one is 3.3 the other is a 4.0 both came with same marks on the slide, the marks on top of the barrel are pretty common, what it seems unusual is the marks around the barrel.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have two xds one is 3.3 the other is a 4.0 both came with same marks on the slide, the marks on top of the barrel are pretty common, what it seems unusual is the marks around the barrel.
Those wear marks on the barrel hood are not at all normal. It looks like the finish is flaking off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts