Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all- new to the forum and new xds owner. A few weeks ago purchased the Xds mod 2 9mm with the tritium front night sight and so far I am pleased with it. Comfortable shooter, fair price, solid ergonomics, and hard to beat the xd gear up promo.

I do however have an issue and was hoping someone with some xds experience could help me out. Shooting at 7/10/15 yards the point of aim seems to be off. I tried the standard "point of aim" hold on the targets and everything was being sent well low on the target, almost off paper. I have shot about 600 rounds through the gun and after about 300 rounds I found that if I cant the front sight at a slightly higher angle than the rear sights I hit exactly where I am aiming. I believe this is called a lollipop hold? I was curious if anyone else had this issue. Btw shooting fmj blazer brass 115gr ammo. I don't think it has to do with trigger control or other fundamentals because I have not had this issue shooting various other handguns.

Anyone else have this issue or have any tips?

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Use sight picture number 3

·
Registered
14,586 Posts

#1 is the lollipop and as far as I know Sig is the only one that uses it and is a crap idea for precision ( what size does that circle have to be in order to bullseye? )
#2 is a proper sight alignment.
#3 is as much guesswork as #1 is.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
#1 is the lollipop and as far as I know Sig is the only one that uses it and is a crap idea for precision ( what size does that circle have to be in order to bullseye? )
I know a lot of bullseye and high-power competitors who would disagree with you on #1. Of all of the sight pictures shown, the 6-o'clock and it's variant the sub-6, where a sliver of light is left between the top of the front sight and the bottom of the target black, are potentially the most accurate hold. For paper punching competitions that is, where the targets and their centers are standardized and you can adjust your sights to give the desired POI when using that POA.

#3 is often called a "combat hold" and is not intended to be highly precise as much as it is fast to acquire and sufficiently accurate for defensive purposes. As I understand it, some pistols designed primarily for the concealed carry market use this sight picture.

I've read in these forms that the XDs is designed to use sight picture #3, but my experience differs. Mine seem to shoot to POA best when using #2 at distances up to 50'.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently purchased an XDS 9mm Mod 2 with the fiber optic front sight and have the same issue of shooting low if I use the standard point of aim sight picture shown in figure 2 above. That is the recommended procedure in the manual btw. Interesting that SA says it will shoot point of aim at 25 yards. That seems a stretch for self defense purposes. I have to hold the entire front sight out of the rear notch to stay on target out to 15 yards. I'm using 3 types of 115 grain rounds and all shoot the same.

I do have some experience to base my results on, I have owned 9 XD's and currently have a 45 compact, 2 45 Mod 2's, 1 9mm Mod 2, and now the XDS Mod 2. I waited for the grip change to get the XDS. All my others have Tru Glow fiber optic sights front and rear and I will change the XDS to that too. I would do this anyway to keep the format the same on all carry pistols anyway but that alignment problem I have is another reason to do this. The front fiber optic is easy to see but is so big compared to the Tru Glow. I like having fiber optic front and rear anyway, my 65 year old eyes need the help.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I also use Sight Image number 2 out to about 20 yards. My situation is probably different than anyone out there. My XDS45 Mod 2 came with Tritium Front Sight and the rear sight with the 2 white dots on. Recognizing that this was a manufacture mistake I called the factory and they sent the correct rear sight to me. After using my pistol with the white dot rear and the Tritium sight on the front, I find myself aligning the white dot rear with the green glowing front. Using this combination I use the Sight Image 2. At night I use the front night sight as intended. What I am going to do the next time I go to the range I will shoot one target and one clip with the white rear dots and then I will cover the rear white dots with black electrical tape and fire at another target, i clip to compare the two targets, before I switch to the factory correct rear sight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took another trip to the range yesterday, shot my mod 2 9mm, along with several glocks, a ruger sr1911 and a .22 S&W. All others shot fist size groups at 10 yards which I was happy with, my new mod 2 however....not so much. Shooting 115 gr and 124 gr FMJ ammo. I still can't find the proper point of aim/hold to develop any consistency. I really want to like this gun but I am growing frustrated. Maybe I should replace the sights? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Took another trip to the range yesterday, shot my mod 2 9mm, along with several glocks, a ruger sr1911 and a .22 S&W. All others shot fist size groups at 10 yards which I was happy with, my new mod 2 however....not so much. Shooting 115 gr and 124 gr FMJ ammo. I still can't find the proper point of aim/hold to develop any consistency. I really want to like this gun but I am growing frustrated. Maybe I should replace the sights? Any thoughts?
The best thing I've found is to shoot your new XD from a rest. That way you'll know if it's you or the pistol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually, SIG uses #3.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought an XDs .45 mod2 and was having the same issue. I had to lollipop the sights to get anywhere near my point of aim, otherwise I hit low, very low. I was firing Federal 230 grain Champion FMJ's (Walmart's aluminum case bargain ammo) which hits 6" to 8" low at 20' (under 7 yards). As I see no adjustment on the elevation of the fixed sights, I saw no way to correct for this. Different sights being my only thought for a permanent solution.

Luckily I also had a Viridian E-series red laser from the Gear Up Kit on my pistol. I adjusted the point of aim on the laser to the absolute elevation limit to get it to hit close to my intended target point at a mere 20' distant target. In this case striking 1" to 2" high. A minor adjustment to correct for this, and I had rounds on target using the laser. But this still left the fixed sights useless.

The next day after a trip to my local gun shop for different ammunition I tried 2 other brands, and found that the aim point issue is 100% due to ammunition. I set up a target at 10 yards approximate distance, not the 20 feet of the previous day.
With the Federal aluminum case Champion FMJ I continued to hit low, verifying that it was the same very low impact point as the day before. The target being further out the impact point is now over a foot low, 16 to 18 inches low in fact.
I changed to Fiocchi and hit within an inch of point of aim, still low but well within usable variance. An inch being close enough to allow for a little "Kentucky Windage" to compensate and I had rounds on target. A little practice and this would be very acceptable for a small CCW pistol.
I then changed to Magtech and put 2 of the first 5 test rounds fired inside the 2" bullseye. This is with true point of aim using the sights no "Kentucky Windage" or "Lollipoping" required, leaving me very happy with my new little CCW pistol.
All these were fired at the same target, approximately 10 yards out. So as to compare apples to apples, there was also no variance in projectile type, (hollow point, etc) all were standard FMJ ball ammo at 230 grain weight.

So before buying new sights or modifying anything on your XDs I highly suggest you try another brand or 3 of ammunition or even another type of ammunition from the same manufacturer. I was amazed by the difference in my aim point due to different brands of ammo. Had I not done the test myself I would not have believed it, 18 inches difference in impact point in a mere 30 feet.
I also want to point out that I am not bad mouthing the Federal ammunition, it works perfectly in my Glock 41. With the Glock and Federal ammo, I was putting 13 rounds in a 4" group with 7 of 13 rounds in the bullseye on the same target as the test above. It is merely that the XDs did not like the ammo, probably due to the much shorter barrel length of 3.3 inches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all- new to the forum and new xds owner. A few weeks ago purchased the Xds mod 2 9mm with the tritium front night sight and so far I am pleased with it. Comfortable shooter, fair price, solid ergonomics, and hard to beat the xd gear up promo.

I do however have an issue and was hoping someone with some xds experience could help me out. Shooting at 7/10/15 yards the point of aim seems to be off. I tried the standard "point of aim" hold on the targets and everything was being sent well low on the target, almost off paper. I have shot about 600 rounds through the gun and after about 300 rounds I found that if I cant the front sight at a slightly higher angle than the rear sights I hit exactly where I am aiming. I believe this is called a lollipop hold? I was curious if anyone else had this issue. Btw shooting fmj blazer brass 115gr ammo. I don't think it has to do with trigger control or other fundamentals because I have not had this issue shooting various other handguns.

Anyone else have this issue or have any tips?
I just got the same xds mod 2 9mm and seem too be having the opposite problem. I ran about 150 rounds through it today and it seems to be shooting 3" to 4" high when using sig v-crown 124 grn jhp's. So I switched it up to Hornady American Gunner 124 grn xtp jhp and was still shooting about 2" high. However, standard Mag Tech 115grn fmj's seemed to be dead on. This really surprised me because on average I tend to shoot a little low, and left. Not sure what was going on. I'm leaning towards this being a new gun that I need to get used to, so I'll try some different defense rounds and report back when I can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put a prp spring kit that brings the sear and the other parts. I also installed there Galloway precision Einar trigger. Solved all of my headaches and complaints with thre xds. Before the modifications my shot groups were random. Same ammo, same day i would grab a shield 2.0 or a xdm and shoot accurate to aim groupings. I noticed that the trigger pull on my xds was heavier. Now im happy with the Xds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I replied to another thread about a year ago for this problem with a new XDS 9mm Mod2. Out to 15 yards I shot decent groups, all about 6" low. I have 3 other Mod 2 XD's, a 9 and 2 45's. Also have an XD 45 Compact. Installed Truglo fiber optic sites on all of them and point of aim is the same for all four. Installed the same sites on the XDS thinking it would correct the problem but it did not, still shoots low. Could be me, but the other four perform the same. Since I rotate what I carry, and want each to perform the same, the XDS is no longer in my rotation and will probably be sold. I don't want to have to remember to aim high with one gun in the rotation. I have tried different ammo in the XDS with the same results. I do use 115 gr, so perhaps a heavier bullet would solve it, but that would change the point of aim on the other 9mm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.