Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search and could not really find an answer so I thought I would ask. I purchased the XDs 9mm for my wife and while working with her with snap caps we found that if she did not let the slide go completely it would fail to close all the while. At this point you cannot force it closed either you have to remove the round and try again. I played with it a little while having a round stuck in there and found if I used my finger nail to push on the back of the extractor it would pop closed. Is this normal? My 2 XDm's do not do this and none of my other pistols do this.
Any ideas would be great. We are taking it to the range this weekend to shoot it as much as we can to break it in and see if the problem goes away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried to search and could not really find an answer so I thought I would ask. I purchased the XDs 9mm for my wife and while working with her with snap caps we found that if she did not let the slide go completely it would fail to close all the while. At this point you cannot force it closed either you have to remove the round and try again. I played with it a little while having a round stuck in there and found if I used my finger nail to push on the back of the extractor it would pop closed. Is this normal? My 2 XDm's do not do this and none of my other pistols do this.
Any ideas would be great. We are taking it to the range this weekend to shoot it as much as we can to break it in and see if the problem goes away.

The XDS comes out of the factory very tight. As soon as you get it you should clean it. I experienced issues early on but the gun loosens up as you use it. When I clean it I heat the metal parts with a heat gun and apply frog lube. The gun has loosened up nicely and I have had no issues.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Welcome from Concord NC.
Don't be gentle with the little gun, you won't break it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for the replies, I will give it a good cleaning and start breaking it in this weekend. My wife is going to carry this gun so I told here she had to shoot 100-200 rounds per month with it and only gets to carry it after I think she knows the gun inside and out. So she will be doing the cleaning of the pistol tonight.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had same issue during first range trip. As mentioned above, let the slide go.
Gun is much better now (after 500rds), but I find using slide stop lever best way to load.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
>>As mentioned above, let the slide go<<

And let it go with authority!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took wife to the range and the pistol worked great. Only issue we had was a couple of bad old reloads with cast bullets failed to go into the chamber all the way because they were too large. Not an issue with the gun. Wife shot about 125 rounds and did great. She was hitting 8" plates at 25-30 yards. The plates at 7 yards were easy for her. Great gun.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts