Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new XDS9 couple days ago. It's a post recall version, serial number starting with S. Cleaned and lubricated it. Took it out and ran through about 100 rounds today. Ammo tested are Winchester white box, Remington, Federal brass and Federal aluminum, all 115 gr.

I had one light strike and that round fired when chambered again. Had another 5-10 times, trigger not resetting. I noticed they are all because the slide not returning to full battery. a gentle push of the slide did reset the trigger every time. all of these FTF happened in middle of a magazine, never the first round. FTF happened to all brands of ammo, least frequent with remington brass and most frequent with federal aluminum.

Another slightly minor issue is that two empty casings flew right into my face.

a little search on various forum seems to suggest this is caused by extractor spring being too tight causing too much friction. I did more press checks with snap cap and here is what I found:
slide always return to full battery with an empty chamber
slide occasionally fail to return fully when there is a round in the chamber, and with an empty mag in.
slide always fail to return full battery when there is a round in the chamber and a full mag in.
these observations were repeated with both 7 round factory mags.

I'm not necessarily convinced of the value of such press check for diagnosing the issue. But any advice? Does it sound like there is a real issue with this gun?

probably there will be questions about my wrist. I'm new to handguns for sure and don't have video of myself shooting the xds. but I shot my friends 44 redhawk and got on 8 inch target at 20 yards most of the time.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
People work during the day. Can't expect everyone to respond in the middle of the day.

The most typical problem people have with not going fully into battery is limp wristing. Shooting a revolver has no correlation to shooting an auto. I'm guessing it's a mixture of tight rails and limp wristing. Keep shooting it. Better yet let someone else (with more experience shooting auto's) shoot it and see if the problem persists.

I'd shoot 500 rounds through it before thinking of sending it back.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What cbaldwin2112 said - that, and run it wet while breaking it in (well, other than the striker channel of course). That said, it does sound like the extractor might be a bit tight, but I'd get it good and broken in before worrying about it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
slide occasionally fail to return fully when there is a round in the chamber, and with an empty mag in.
Don't want to jump to conclusions here, but are you putting a round in the chamber and closing the slide on it?

Don't do that - page 15 of the manual.

Do clean it and run it wet. Call SA if you continue to have issues.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Limp wristing came to mind as soon as you posted that the rounds are hitting you added to the other things you stated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts