Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have now seen many threads on this issue... wish I would have seen these threads prior to getting this gun. I've been looking forward to getting this pistol for months.

Picked the gun up today, took it home and did a field strip and pre-range cleaning.

At the range, after 1 perfect magazine, I loaded the second. First round, great, second round failed to fire. Followed safety protocols and unloaded the round after 10 seconds. It had a light, off centered primer strike. Finished the mag, and reloaded the lightly struck round - it fired.

Tried a few more mags and had another ftf. Tried out some federal hydra-shock - 2 good rounds, ftf. Reloaded that round, it fired. Did another mag of hydra-shock, same thing - one ftf.

All in all I think I had 5 ftf's out of 60 or so rounds. I will say that when it does shoot, this is a very accurate, nice shooting, great feeling in my hands gun.

Numerous threads mention cleaning out the striker channel. I've now done that, and it was pretty oily and had some grit in it. It is now dry.

Will try another run of 50 rounds this weekend, but I'm really bummed that a new pistol has these issues. Hopefully the 50 will run well, if not I'll be on the phone to SA on Monday.

Anyway, question: besides cleaning out the striker channel, is there anything else I should look for?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Unfortunately no as far as know. It's imperative to keep the striker assembly clean and dry. Did it ever fail to return to battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately no as far as know. It's imperative to keep the striker assembly clean and dry. Did it ever fail to return to battery?

I don't think so - I think it was fully in battery even when the light primer hits happened. So, if it didn't return to battery fully, I didn't notice it.

I will definitely look more closely tomorrow if I have issues.

I really want to like this pistol, I like everything about it sizewise and love .45ACP - but it's really discouraging having problems right out the gate.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If the primer strikes were off-center, it was likely slightly out of battery when the trigger was pulled. When the trigger is pulled, the gun starts to return to full battery but before it completes, the striker hits the primer and enough of the energy is lost / fails to be transferred to the primer during the strike so it fails to ignite.

The failure to return to battery can be caused by an improperly lubed gun. Be sure to follow the manual's recommendation for lubing the gun. From what I saw during break in, and from other threads, the XDs liks to be a bit wet, especially the rails and barrel, particularly when new.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you read the post for light strikes/ FTF here , and there has been a few, you probably know what the issue could be. Other than that all I can add is , to go slow inspecting the striker for burs, and move it by hand to feel any catch that may be there as the pin moves out the breach face.
It is really a great pistol and if you can`t get it to run, SA will. That ***** feeling you have, of a new gun not runnin, is known to many of us. (mine was a custom 1911) Good Luck

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The failure to return to battery can be caused by an improperly lubed gun. Be sure to follow the manual's recommendation for lubing the gun. From what I saw during break in, and from other threads, the XDs liks to be a bit wet, especially the rails and barrel, particularly when new.
Thanks for that. I will make sure it's all lubed up in the correct spots.

If you read the post for light strikes/ FTF here , and there has been a few, you probably know what the issue could be. Other than that all I can add is , to go slow inspecting the striker for burs, and move it by hand to feel any catch that may be there as the pin moves out the breach face.
It is really a great pistol and if you can`t get it to run, SA will. That ***** feeling you have, of a new gun not runnin, is known to many of us. (mine was a custom 1911) Good Luck
I'm pretty sure I've got the striker chamber cleaned out and it's definitely smooth. Will give it a go this weekend again, hopefully with better results. And, yeah, I'm sure SA will fix it if it doesn't run right.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wonder why I don't carry a XDs.
I carry a cough Glock 30S cough for CC. I am having trouble clearing my throat. :rolleyes:
But I still carry XDm.

·
Registered
599 Posts
What kind of ammo are you using? I got mine couple of months ago, so far I have shot around 200 rnds without issues, just normal cleaning and lubing routine. I didn't even check the striker channel until I installed the PRP kit.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of ammo are you using? I got mine couple of months ago, so far I have shot around 200 rnds without issues, just normal cleaning and lubing routine. I didn't even check the striker channel until I installed the PRP kit.
Was using remington UMC (pretty old actually, yellow box, price tag says $15.47 for 50 rounds) and federal hydra-shock (recent purchase).

I'm fairly certain the ammo is good; ran both in my colt 1911 without issue.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Lube it and grip it correctly and it should run,if you are doing both of these things and it still fails to return to battery after more breaking in,SA may have to tune your extractor a little bit.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Mine seemed a little tight when new and I had a few light strikes caused by the slide hanging about 1/16" from full battery. After getting all of the factory lube off, alcohol soaked q-tips swabbing the striker channel, disassembling and cleaning the striker assembly, detail stripping and detailing the slide, and running a couple hundred rounds, mine has been running flawlessly. Yours should too. Do not lose hope. The XDs is a sweet lil machine!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lube it and grip it correctly and it should run,if you are doing both of these things and it still fails to return to battery after more breaking in,SA may have to tune your extractor a little bit.
Thanks. It's definitely lubed up well and the striker channel clean and dry. Heading out in a to the range in a couple hours.

Mine seemed a little tight when new and I had a few light strikes caused by the slide hanging about 1/16" from full battery. After getting all of the factory lube off, alcohol soaked q-tips swabbing the striker channel, disassembling and cleaning the striker assembly, detail stripping and detailing the slide, and running a couple hundred rounds, mine has been running flawlessly. Yours should too. Do not lose hope. The XDs is a sweet lil machine!
I'm going to really keep an eye on it to make sure it goes fully into battery. I honestly wasn't looking for that yesterday. I'm sure that's what the issue is - just not happy to have an issue like this in a new gun. I don't believe it's how I was handling the gun (of course I've seen many threads where people say the same exact thing). Not going to lose hope; if it doesn't run right today I'll contact SA on Monday.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I carry a cough Glock 30S cough for CC. I am having trouble clearing my throat. :rolleyes:
But I still carry XDm.

Well somebody has to dance with the fat girls...

My XDs 45 runs like clockwork, even the extended magazines function for me. I ran 300 of the HST's through them to prove it.

(I will admit to "lusting after a 30 SF" because of the capacity ,but overcame the temptation and use my Sig P220 Carry when I want more rounds.)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep380 with is vid has been passed around a bunch on gripping a handgun. Pretty good stuff.
Thanks for that, definitely different than my grip - tried it, liked it.

Back from the range. Using Winchester white box 230g FMJ. Used the grip style in the vid above. Gun is well lubed up and striker channel is clean and dry.

First mag, great.

Second mag, fired two rounds, then noticed the slide wasn't fully seated - gave it a push and it clicked into place. Out of battery.

After that, a few more mags, again an out of battery round, which I pushed into place and fired.

Switched over to federal PD 230 hollow points. First round fired, second round out of battery. Pushed slide into place and fired, again out of battery. Stopped - no use wasting ammo to test with these kind of results.

My feeling: It's not the striker channel or the striker. It's also not "limp wristing" - very easy to blame the shooter, however I seriously doubt that many people are limp wristing their pistol. I had a solid grip on the gun.

In examining my fired brass, it looks like the extractor is aggressively digging into the back of the cartridge and slightly into the rim. This leads me to believe the tension on the extractor is too high, or it needs adjustment/modification. I've seen threads where people have fixed this issue by changing out mag springs with ones that have more tension - that probably works because it pushes the round into the bolt/extractor with enough force to correctly seat the bullet when the slide returns.

Anyway, I'll be calling SA on Monday. Very bummed that this pistol has this many issues and I hope SA can fix this as it's a nice platform.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
But I still carry XDm.
Every marque can have its troubles. My Glock 30 was the worst pistol I've ever owned, whereas every single XD, XDm, or XDS pistol in the family has been flawless.

It happens.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Yep380/ these are designed for the round to slide under the extractor when loading from the mag. I think the extractor probably needs adjusting. Call SA Monday and shoot it back to them. Probably have it back in a week or so.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well somebody has to dance with the fat girls...

My XDs 45 runs like clockwork, even the extended magazines function for me. I ran 300 of the HST's through them to prove it.

(I will admit to "lusting after a 30 SF" because of the capacity ,but overcame the temptation and use my Sig P220 Carry when I want more rounds.)
Every marque can have its troubles. My Glock 30 was the worst pistol I've ever owned, whereas every single XD, XDm, or XDS pistol in the family has been flawless.

It happens.
I completely understand the XDs is a greatly proven pistol but if my gun doesn't eat Hydra-shok then I would be worried. Even though I carry Speer Gold dots. I want my gun to eat anything I throw into it, like my XDm 5.25" does.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is take it down and from the blue rubber piece in the extractor spring. That will most likely be what they do. If you don't want to try that. Then for shits take some measurements for us to see.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep380/ these are designed for the round to slide under the extractor when loading from the mag. I think the extractor probably needs adjusting. Call SA Monday and shoot it back to them. Probably have it back in a week or so.
Thanks - yeah, that's the plan. I found a youtube vid where the guy pretty much says exactly what I came up with - I think he's spot on. I wish he did the follow up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEuQz3fTjtw

1 - 20 of 37 Posts