Springfield XD Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Finally got off my butt and ordered a 10-pack of the 10%+ Wolff magazine springs.

Will report back in coming days. I've got a low-light class scheduled for mid-February as well as the possibility of a two-hour seminar in the last half of this month, we'll see how she does, then.

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
:lol::D:p

Well, yes, it's an old thread, but I've been continually updating - including a current round-count that's now past 40K as well as reports of when/how I've run into trouble. It's more a long-term abuse/use log than anything else, now.

There was a big break between August of 2012, when I finished Costa's two pistol classes as the gun inched over the 30K mark and then October of 2014, as I neared the 40K mark (my usage of this pistol has decreased in the last three years, with more focus on training/practicing with my 3.8 Compact, which is my EDC format), but I still come back to it when I see problems, hoping that by doing so, I can set it as a roadside marker for others as they approach this kind of usage/mileage.

Maybe I should petition the Mods for a topic/subject change.....

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I'll link out to a recent thread in which I participated in, on the M4Carbine.net Handguns sub-Forum, in which I wrote about my magazine-spring replacements:

Springfield xdm 9mm mags

My screen-name there is the same as it is here. TSiWRX.

For those wondering about the long-term durability and reliability of the XD platform guns (specifically, the XD and XDm handgund), you'll find my follow-up post in that thread, post #9, to be a good read. :)

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I last updated this thread.

I'm now well within 1,000 to the 50K mark.

Mileage is accruing at a much slower rate on this gun now that it's pretty much reserved for fun and OWB use...it's stood at right around 49K since May. I still get in a hundred rounds here and there practicing transitions with my carbine (which I need considerably more practice with, BTW - the last time I did that in a class, I embarrassingly tried to throw the carbine away from myself...twice :oops:), but in so far as classes go, the last time I sent down more than that in a single setting was this spring (April, and this was, I believe, my most recent discussion specific to this gun - http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/spare-parts-for-sa-plastic-pistols.367001/page-2#post-6299073 ).

I more recently developed a self-induced technique problem - I started to really choke-up on the 4.5-inch gun with my support hand in an effort to gain even more recoil control (without putting in more grip[ping] force). Turns out that when I ride my hand that far forward on this gun that the thenar eminence trips the slide-lock/release during recoil, and causes the slide to lock-back even with rounds still in the magazine. It didn't take me long to kick his habit, but I actually wish it wouldn't be an issue, as it noticeably helped with recoil control with my hand that far forward. That said, I can achieve the same by consciously increasing grip pressure with the support hand. I'm hoping to train this to the subconscious level by the end of this season.

All magazine issues seem to have been taken care of with the spring swaps.

No sign of real mechanical trouble, yet - but I'm going to continue to keep my fingers crossed and rock on. :)

I'm going to try to put in a few hundred rounds over the next couple of days, so that when I take my little one out at the end of the summer, I'll have her shoot the 50,000th round.

-----

Cross-referencing my thread on my training/range-use 3.8 Compact, updated today at ~ 18K rds.: http://www.xdtalk.com/posts/6553041/

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
Been way too long.....

As some of you may know/remember, I took the last year off of shooting as a part of my self-imposed "COVID austerity plan." Reasons? The wifey took an elective 20% pay cut and my salary was frozen - and I was effectively the primary caretaker of not only my daughter, but also my wife's parents: so I had to do a bit of self-isolating, too. :)

We could see reasonably early on that we -very- thankfully had enough resources and would likely make it through without too much impact to our lives. That said, I still didn't feel right about going to training classes and spending money on ammo and/or equipment.... It's been a long year (and most sadly/embarrassingly, I did not devote nearly enough time towards dry-firing), but we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

So when an instructor-turned-friend hung up his own shingle this year on a private range, I eagerly took a membership slot. Got out last weekend with my daughter (who also had not shot for well over a year, by that point), and today with my long-time shooting buddy.

Glorious NE-Ohio day: just above freezing but warm under the sun - "...cotton ball clouds drift[ing] across an impossibly blue sky."

My buddy took a few pictures.

Sky Plant Cloud Plant community Automotive tire

^ That is my really dirty vehicle, off the 12-foot shooting tower.

The tower is set back approx. 80 yards from the center firing line, below --->

Sky Plant Cloud People in nature Natural landscape

and.....

Sky Ecoregion Shooting range Air gun Hat

^ That's my fat ass trying to shoot farther than I'm rated for.
😅
😝

I've never shot past the 200 before. And to be honest, I actually didn't know if my rifle was even still zero'ed when we started. I hit a couple of head-shots at the 100 yard line, thought it fair, and ping'ed a 12" and then a 6" plate at 300 yards, so I decided to push it a little bit.

Pistol was rough.

Started off the day pretty much missing all my shots at the 100 yard line with the pistol (freestyle).

Walked up to the 50, and was still getting nothing but air - we were shooting at a combination of Challenge Targets TDI plates and previous-generation Tac-Strike quarter-scales, so they're reasonably challenging (but also not exactly too small for that range). My buddy tuned me up a bit and got me back in the game: 50 rounds later, I was back to ringing it freestyle at the 100, and strong-hand-only at the 50 yard line.

So rusty.......
😝
We won't talk about weak-hand-only......

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Adding.....

Only about 140 rounds fired today from this gun. And as I noted in the post above, the first 50 to 60 were really pretty rough: not the gun's fault, as I eventually dialed it in, with the help of my buddy. :) [ We did trade-off with each other's gun (his was a Gen4 G19, full "Roland Special"), but I coudn't hit with it - he had just as much trouble with my XDm, though. ] The last 40 or so were a lot of fun, and we did it from the 100, 75, and 50 yard lines.

By the time we finished at the 50 with StrongHO, we both had become so accustomed to what the targets looked like at the 100 that we thought we were at the 25 yard line. We actually had to pace it out for ourselves to double check that we weren't mistaking our engagement distances. 😅 It's wonderful what pushing a bit of distance does for one's fundamentals.

Currently should be somewhere over 55,000 rounds, but I've honestly lost count. Let's just reset it and say it's 55,000 from today.

The next time I go out, I should actually be putting in work. See how she's holding at the 25 yard line.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts