Springfield XD Forum banner

New XDm owner

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  mdx 
#1 ·
HI every body, I just purchased a new XDm-40. This is my first semi-auto pistol other than the Mark I, II, III Rugers. So naturally I have a few Questions, I had put about 200 rounds through this gun winchester USA never had a bleep, but then I went to local gun show and bought 500 rounds of relaods from a locally respected re loader. This is where I started having a problem I went out yesterday 25 degrees outside, it was 60 degrees the last time I shot , the re loads are 165 grain FMJs like the winchesters but about every third shot the round only goes in about half way. If I move the slide just a bit they will usually go on in. Did I just waste 150 bucks on amo or could I have another problem? I was out of the winchester amo so I could not try it to see if it was any better. any help would be greatly appreciated as I really like this gun and have already put LPA adjustable sights on it and can shoot fairly well, ( not the 2 or 3 inch groups I read alot about but at 20 yards I can keep 6-8 inch groups maybe I'll get better with more practice.)

#2 ·
Love my Guns, You said you bought reloads from a locally respected reloader. If he's so respected, then he'll give you your money back. I am curious -- did you fully load your magazine to the 16 rounds in your new XDm-40?? If so, try loading your half your magazine with the reloads instead of loading it fully to see if that helps at all. You should also try your Winchester rounds again -- I believe Wal-Mart has the best price on 100 WWB for $28.97 --if you still have no problems with WWB, you've got to go get your money back. I'm really sorry you've had this problem, but it's not too surprising that you might have some problems with reloads using these high capacity magazines. I wish you luck on this!! One thing's for sure: you have good taste in guns!:)

#3 ·
Thanks Becket I have already bought more winchester amo, and you are correct wall mart is the cheapest i have found on these rounds, I will probably buy these from now on anyway, since I only saved about 2.00 a box any way. I have not had a chance to try the winchester amo again, but am hoping this will solve the problem, I did shoot a couple of mags of wolf that a buddy had when I ran out of the winchester, it seemed to work fine ,although I was reluctant to use this since I have heard some not so good comments about it .Thanks again and I will try the half full mags also.

#4 ·
Warning !!! S&W 40 reloads may be hazardous to your help. Most re-loaders at gun shows are not real particular about what brass they use. If they happen to be using brass salvaged from various gun ranges the risk of getting cases that have been fired in a Glock is very high. Because of the lack of a fully supported firing chamber you will get cases that have a bulge in the base. Unless the reloader uses a special sizing die that bulge will remain in the case after sizing. This will sometimes prevent the round from fully seating besides weakening the the case wall. Even if the reloader does use the special die to remove the bulge if this is done too many times the case can be weakened and you risk fatal case failure. Bottom line don't buy 40 cal. reloads period. If you reload them yourself fine you can keep track of you own cases but I won't even pick up 40 cal. cases at the range because I don't know their history. I have personally seen one Glock "Kaboom" caused buy this and I really don't care to have it happen to me.

#5 ·
LMguns, one more thing, and I hate to say it, but on page 8 of your owner's manual, under the heading in big RED letters that says, READ THESE RULES!, it does say:
"Old or reloaded ammunition may cause damage to the firearm, and/or injure you or others. Use only clean, dry, original, high-quality, commercially manufactured ammunition. Using reloaded ammunition may void the warranty."

I would not waste any more of your time with the reloaded stuff and go get your money back -- sooner the better -- it being Christmas time, he may have already spent the money. Good luck!

#6 ·
Thanks guys that is why I asked , I knew or had a pretty good idea someone on here would have a good explanation for my problem. I had a suspicion all along that it was probably the re-loads , but wanted someone else opinion. What about the winchester USA loads ,I was told these are re loads as well, but since they are factory reloads I am assuming they are good to go? One more thing I here people talking about guide rods, and alot say that there is no difference in manufacturers , but that the solid ones are better than the hollow one that came on my XDm 40 how will this change affect the performance of my gun?

#9 ·
"Old or reloaded ammunition may cause damage to the firearm, and/or injure you or others. Use only clean, dry, original, high-quality, commercially manufactured ammunition. Using reloaded ammunition may void the warranty."

I would not waste any more of your time with the reloaded stuff and go get your money back -- sooner the better --
Absolutely.

I never buy reloads anyway, but I most especially would never use any in a "match" type pistol.

#10 ·
Never use reloads for any gun. Even factory ammo can be overloaded at times , but reloads can not be trusted unless you reload them yourself. If you take the barrel out and drop them in by hand,then you can verify the ones that are not sized right as they should go in and out loose. Blazer Brass is an excellent practice round which Walmart or Midway carries. The Blazer is better than the Win. for accuracy in my 40. If you were raking into the chamber be sure and clean it .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.