Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my new xdm and love it. This is my first automatic although I have shot many 1911's. My question is this, Is it ok to carry an xdm with a round in the chamber? Without a thumb safety I dont know how comfortable I am carrying it in my waistband or in a holster with it ready to go. Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
127,151 Posts
I carry daily with "one in the pipe." The XD is a very safe pistol by design.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The XDm has a series of safety system that permit it to be safely carried with a round in the chamber. First there is a drop safety that can only be disengaged by the trigger. So you can probably drop it down a flight of stairs and it won't fire, however I won't test that particular attribute. Second, there is the trigger safety, which prevents the trigger from moving unless it's depressed. Third there is the grip safety, which blocks movement of either the trigger or the slide unless it's depressed.

So, it can be carried safely with a round in the chamber. However, you have to be aware of the safety systems and use them properly. Which means that when you draw the pistol from you holster, KEEP YOUR FINGER OUT OF THE TRIGGER GUARD. You only want to bring your trigger finger to the trigger once your on point. There have been reports of Glocks producing an ND when holstered with something like a drawstring getting caught in the trigger. So, the rule when holstering an XDm is that you use a grip that DOES NOT engage the grip safety. Use your thumb at the back of the slide to seat the pistol in the holster and STAY OFF THE GRIP SAFETY.

Now sit down and think about these safety systems and learn how to use them. Once you do, I think you'll conclude that it's perfectly safe to carry the XDm with a round in the chamber as long as you use the safety features properly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I been carrying a xd45 tactical on duty 5x a week and either a xd9sc or xdm off duty 7x a week. All guns are fully loaded w/ one in the chamber. I feel they are very safe.

Whenever I carry the xd in a fanny pack, I attach the free holster it came with to inside the fanny pack. I just want the added security to ensure nothing puts any pressure near the trigger. I was never a fan of the soft nylon holsters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your thoughts mirror mine. I just wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction as I kind of like my right thigh!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Your thoughts mirror mine. I just wanted to make sure I was going in the right direction as I kind of like my right thigh!
Fondness for thighs aside, The XD, as all others here have stated, is a very safe pistol to carry. The other thing is that all the safeties are "automatic" in that you need not manipulate anything to engage them, nor do anything but grip the gun and pull the trigger to fire it. There will be no fumbling around and trying to remember what type of gun you are carrying and where the safety is when immediate action is required. Of all the rules written about gun safety the three most important are these:

1) The gun is ALWAYS LOADED!
2) Never point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger until you engage the target.

No amount of mechanical safety engineering can make a gun any safer than its operator.

·
Registered
72 Posts
comfortable is the key word here for you. get to know that XD before you stick it in your waist band. or use an IWB holster to ease your mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts