Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty excited about this. Been wanting one for while. Shot a rental one over a while a range and immediately loved it. I've shot maybe 10 different guns, from H&K to Sig to M&P, etc., the XDM felt just right. Took a while to convince my wife to allow a gun in the house. Paid $489 from grabagun.

Any tips for a first time owner?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Just have the wife watch a few of those home invasion movies, where the owners have a golf club to fight with. It will make a gun owner out of the most pacifistic. Welcome to the XDM community, really a nice pistol. Now go get some professional training.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Welcome! My only advice is to go to your local club or range and get some training. It could save your life.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Training training training, then maybe some more. I grew up with guns and did a defensive gun class years ago time for me to go back.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Good price for an XDM - welcome. My advice is start with professional training. Don't skimp on belt and holster if you are intending to carry.
Love your wife, take her shooting with you. My instructor holds women-only classes that are very popular. See if there is one in your area.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Welcome from tn, love to see new gun owners , Advice? Take your time and don't believe everything you hear, do your own research to fit you, yes listen to others but make your own mind up. don't be wary of questions . No question is dumb! If a internet commando runs thier mouth , take it for what it is and move on. Again , glad to have you

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
As others have said.................Training.

Also:

The Four Basic Principles of Safe Gun Handling

1. Treat every firearm as if it's loaded.

2. Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.

And if you have young children in the house or friends/relatives that will be bringing young children to the house, get a good gun safe/lock box for your weapon.

And for God's sake............................make sure it is unloaded before cleaning it.

Welcome to the forums and good luck and be safe!

·
Registered
212 Posts
As others have said.................Training.

Also:

The Four Basic Principles of Safe Gun Handling

1. Treat every firearm as if it's loaded.

2. Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

4. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.

And if you have young children in the house or friends/relatives that will be bringing young children to the house, get a good gun safe/lock box for your weapon.

And for God's sake............................make sure it is unloaded before cleaning it.

Welcome to the forums and good luck and be safe!
This!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Guys! Thanks for all the advice and positive notes. I've actually taken a bit of training. Just never owned. Did my mandatory CCW class a few weeks ago. She's gone shooting. Took her out a few months ago and she shot an Xdm 9mm and she shot very well. She enjoyed it. I'm hoping she'll warm up to it more and more. She saw me handle the gun and saw how I operated it so she feels better. Getting a safe next. Have a 2 yr old and a baby girl on the way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah to carry in FL you need a permit, and the class is required. What sucks is that I have to wait 5 business days to be allowed to take it home from my FFL, that's the rule in Miami-Dade county. Not sure what it's like across the states but my CCW class really didn't teach me anything I dod t know before.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Hey Guys! Thanks for all the advice and positive notes. I've actually taken a bit of training. Just never owned. Did my mandatory CCW class a few weeks ago. She's gone shooting. Took her out a few months ago and she shot an Xdm 9mm and she shot very well. She enjoyed it. I'm hoping she'll warm up to it more and more. She saw me handle the gun and saw how I operated it so she feels better. Getting a safe next. Have a 2 yr old and a baby girl on the way.
Good move with the safe and your wife's smooth introduction to firearms and firearm safety. My wife was the same way, her family did not own or shoot firearms. Now she's all for my guns and extra ammo and defensive pistol classes. She knows I take it seriously...

Congrats on your new XDm too!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Yeah to carry in FL you need a permit, and the class is required. What sucks is that I have to wait 5 business days to be allowed to take it home from my FFL, that's the rule in Miami-Dade county. Not sure what it's like across the states but my CCW class really didn't teach me anything I dod t know before.
Most ccw classes are pretty minimal, not training at all. Find someplace local that does defensive pistol training. Then take your training to your practice by shooting something like IDPA. You will have no idea how bad/good you are until shooting under some sort of pressure. As put to me in a training class once, " you'll be half as good in a fight as your worst day at the range". Some people are terrible at the range. Under stress, you won't rise to the occasion, but sink to your training & practice.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Welcome. Please don't vote for idiots that want to take away your rights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts