Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi ya'll new to the forum. Got my XDm 3.8 .45 on Wednesday and last night I got to put my first rounds thru it. This is the first target fresh out of the box. 19 rounds at 7 yards. One long mag and one short. I'm happy with it. It did start out shooting about 1.5" left so I Kentucky windaged it after that. I'll get that adjusted.

Recreation Shooting sport Sport venue Shooting range

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Nice shooting!

Reactions: WWIGG

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome from SoCal and Congrats on joining the XDm club

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
Before you adjust the sights, bench the gun and see if it's really the sights that are off.

It may be just that you need a bit more time behind the trigger to get used to it, seeing from your .sig lines that you're already an experienced shooter. :wink:

The XD-series' trigger takes some time to get used to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am headed for the Raleigh NC gun show next weekend to look at the 3.8 .45 for my next EDC. Right now I have the Shield and a S&W 442 revolver. Have you tried concealed carry yet with the new 3.8?
Just wondering how it would match up with M&P Shield and Glock 30s.

·
Premium Member
128,144 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Before you adjust the sights, bench the gun and see if it's really the sights that are off.
Ditto on that one, I've got another XDm (4.5") yesterday and went shooting today, right out of the box I shot dead center group at 5 yd approx 2" in size, 10 shots. few shots were hole-on-hole, but them as I was shooting some more shots drifted low/left and there was nothing I could do to correct, I know that is because trigger was too tight, I was shooting somewhat faster than I should have and gun gig not have any grip tape installed. Can't blame the gun just yet because apparently first shots were dead center.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It may be just that you need a bit more time behind the trigger to get used to it, seeing from your .sig lines that you're already an experienced shooter. :wink:

The XD-series' trigger takes some time to get used to.
Ditto on that one, I've got another XDm (4.5") yesterday and went shooting today, right out of the box I shot dead center group at 5 yd approx 2" in size, 10 shots. few shots were hole-on-hole, but them as I was shooting some more shots drifted low/left and there was nothing I could do to correct, I know that is because trigger was too tight, I was shooting somewhat faster than I should have and gun gig not have any grip tape installed. Can't blame the gun just yet because apparently first shots were dead center.
OK. I'm here to learn so I will take the learned advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am headed for the Raleigh NC gun show next weekend to look at the 3.8 .45 for my next EDC. Right now I have the Shield and a S&W 442 revolver. Have you tried concealed carry yet with the new 3.8?
Just wondering how it would match up with M&P Shield and Glock 30s.
I carried it open today during the CHL class I helped teach with the holster that comes in the bundle. It's OK but I am waiting on my Alien Gear IWB and OWB that I ordered. I chose the XDm after comparing SIG, Glock, and S&W. I like the way it feels and shoots. I am not a small man and I don't particularly care about "printing" so I went with the weapon I liked better for me. I care about what I can shoot well and what I will practice with. I'm not trying to be flip. I am trying to relay what made me decide on the XDm.

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
OK. I'm here to learn so I will take the learned advice.
Don't take it from me, take it from our fellow Ohioan and perpetual Top Shot bridesmaid, Chris Cerino:

TRAINING TIPS Need a sight adjustment Think again - TheGunMag - The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment FoundationTheGunMag 8211 The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment Foundation

;):cool:

For experienced shooters such as yourself, I'd start by shoving a laser boresighter into the barrel to get a quick peek. If the sights fail that outright, then it's an easy decision.

If the sights appear to be on, the next step is to bench/bag the gun at the range. Take yourself out of the equation as much as possible - the buddy trigger drill (where the training partner actuates the trigger while the person behind the gun is responsible only for maintaining the sight package: this is often done as an instructor/student pair for new shooters who are having trigger control issues) can also help.

For a newer shooter, it would have been easier to just say "focus more on trigger control," but looking at your .sig, I assume that you're already an experienced shooter: so before you even start working trigger control in-earnest, it pays to at least make sure that you're not chasing your own tail and that the sights are mechanically off! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't take it from me, take it from our fellow Ohioan and perpetual Top Shot bridesmaid, Chris Cerino:

TRAINING TIPS Need a sight adjustment Think again - TheGunMag - The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment FoundationTheGunMag 8211 The Official Gun Magazine of the Second Amendment Foundation

;):cool:

For experienced shooters such as yourself, I'd start by shoving a laser boresighter into the barrel to get a quick peek. If the sights fail that outright, then it's an easy decision.

If the sights appear to be on, the next step is to bench/bag the gun at the range. Take yourself out of the equation as much as possible - the buddy trigger drill (where the training partner actuates the trigger while the person behind the gun is responsible only for maintaining the sight package: this is often done as an instructor/student pair for new shooters who are having trigger control issues) can also help.

For a newer shooter, it would have been easier to just say "focus more on trigger control," but looking at your .sig, I assume that you're already an experienced shooter: so before you even start working trigger control in-earnest, it pays to at least make sure that you're not chasing your own tail and that the sights are mechanically off! :)
Great article. I'll give that a shot the next time I am at the range. And yeah, I have a little experience. I shot on the OH National Guard Pistol team for 5 yrs back in the late 80s early 90s as well as being a small arms instructor in the OHARNG for 2 yrs. But none of that precludes me from learning something. I hope I learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
^ See, that's what I meant by "I think you've got some experience." :wink: :smile:

I'd definitely pursue making sure that the sights are mechanically truly "off" before you tweak them - conversely, that they truly are "on" by bore-sighting and bench/bagging or even resting the gun before you really start trying to commit the trigger path to-memory.

After all, it would do absolutely no good if the sights really were off!!!! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll check with the range where I am a member and see if they have a bore sight and if they'll let me set up a bench rest. They shouldn't have an issue with the bench rest.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Congratulations on your new gun and welcome from Texas. I have that very same model XDm and love it. My first few mags weren't nearly as good as yours, but with some practice, my groups look like that now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congratulations on your new gun and welcome from Texas. I have that very same model XDm and love it. My first few mags weren't nearly as good as yours, but with some practice, my groups look like that now.
Thanks! Looks like you live pretty close (in Texas terms anyway) to my Dad. He lives in Canyon Lake. I hope to get down there this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts