Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to the range today with my brand new XDm 40. I first put one round in each of 3 mags and fired them. Then 2 in each mag, then 5 just to make sure that all of the gun/mag combinations were working well.

I finally loaded one mag up to 16 and had no issues at all. It digested 50 S&B 180gr and 50 Winchester White-Box 165gr without any hint of a problem.

What a sweet gun. I hope to put another 100 through it this weekend - maybe more. I'm not driving nails with it yet but I figure we (the gun and mostly me) should settle in pretty soon with more practice.

How many rounds do you all typically fire through a new gun like this one before you are getting nice tight groups? Break-in and familiarity...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got to the range today with my brand new XDm 40. I first put one round in each of 3 mags and fired them. Then 2 in each mag, then 5 just to make sure that all of the gun/mag combinations were working well.

I finally loaded one mag up to 16 and had no issues at all. It digested 50 S&B 180gr and 50 Winchester White-Box 165gr without any hint of a problem.

What a sweet gun. I hope to put another 100 through it this weekend - maybe more. I'm not driving nails with it yet but I figure we (the gun and mostly me) should settle in pretty soon with more practice.

How many rounds do you all typically fire through a new gun like this one before you are getting nice tight groups? Break-in and familiarity...
First I oiled the gun good for the first time...I fired 300 rounds through my XDm on the first outing. Ater about 150-200 rounds it started to bring the groups together in the bullseye. To me Its the best polymer framed pistol.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Sounds like you had a good day. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put another 100 through the gun today with no problems at all. Again, 50 S&B 180gr and 50 WinUSA 165gr. The difference in recoil is noticeable but not huge. The WinUSA 165gr is definitely better in terms of my ability to get 4 out of 5 in 1.5"-1.75" at 25'. I always seem to have that one flyer at 2-3"... Practice...

The groups are definitely starting to get tighter - I think that it is mostly me learning to shoot it better. I put the small backstrap (#1) in and it seems to feel a bit better in my hand. I think learning how to hold it and becoming more and more comfortable with it is resulting in increasingly better groups.

I hope to shoot some more this weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome, I just put my first 100 rounds through mine today. I used Blazer Brass, not a single problem. Only real problem is my technique, kept shooting low and right. I'm gonna switch to the small backstrap as well and see if that helps my grip.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I shot my new XDm last weekend. Approximately 250rds Blazer Brass and not one FTF. The only hiccup I had was the slide not locking to the rear after the last round was fired but that was due entirely to my thumb placement.

I was shooting all over the place during the first 150 rounds or so. That's because I kept trying different grips/hand placement. One thing that's definitely take some getting used to is the sight alignment. I'm not used to the 6 o'clock sight picture or "lollipopping" the target. In due time though...

I do need to adjust to this gun. Until now I've only pistol I've shot is the M9. I shoot very well with that gun and am extremely familiar and comfortable with it. Hopefully after enough practice the XDm will feel the same way.

Shooting is the one thing for me a don't mind practicing at all!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I went to the range this morning. I shot about 200 rounds. This time using the large grips. I noticed a significant improvement in my shot placement. I don't know if it is due to the different grips or just because I am finally getting used to the gun.

I was shooting 3-4 inch groups at 20 yards which compared to last weekend is amazing. I was doing a lot better than most of the other guys shooting.

I'm glad that I'm shooting better. I was so exited when I first purchased the gun and then was a little disappointed when I didn't shoot well. Now I an fully enjoy the gun.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went to the range this morning. I shot about 200 rounds. This time using the large grips. I noticed a significant improvement in my shot placement. I don't know if it is due to the different grips or just because I am finally getting used to the gun.

I was shooting 3-4 inch groups at 20 yards which compared to last weekend is amazing. I was doing a lot better than most of the other guys shooting.

I'm glad that I'm shooting better. I was so exited when I first purchased the gun and then was a little disappointed when I didn't shoot well. Now I an fully enjoy the gun.:mrgreen:
I'm gad to hear that, my experience is very similar. I just picked my XDM up on Thursday and put 150 rounds through it. No FTF using Speer Lawman 165 grain, but my aim sucked. I couldn't quite find my groove.

Yesterday I put another 150 rounds through it and did much, much better. Although I'm constantly hitting low left which I think is just recoil anticipation. I did great on my last box. BUT I had 2 FTF one right after the other. I cleaned and oiled the gun after my last range visit. I'm hoping it was just the ammo. Anyone have experience with this stuff? Weird how two rounds in a row didn't feed...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put another 150 rounds through the XDm yesterday. This time I shot all hand loaded "bag" ammo that I picked up at the gun show. I figured that this would be worst case in terms of forcing some sort of feed or eject issue.

Not one problem... This gun seems to digest anything I feed it and keep asking for more.

I shot 50 165gr flat nose FMJ, the brass was a mixture of Win, Fed, and *I* (whatever that is). They were loaded very similar to the Win White Box ammo and were nice and clean. I had no problem putting 5 shot groups in a 3-4" circle at 25 yds.

The other 100 were loaded with 165gr Rem "Golden Sabre" JHP with the same brass mix. These were quite a bit "hotter" and a bit less accurate (due to my flinching probably). Both loads were very clean with very little powder residue.

So, to date I have put the following through the XDm without any FTF or FTE issues (360 rounds total):

S&B 180gr FMJ flat nose
WinUSA 165gr FMJ flat nose
Cor-Bon 150gr JHP (only 5 rounds)
Handload 165gr FMJ flat nose
Handload 165gr JHP (Rem Golden Sabre)

I just bought a box of Blazer Brass at WM last night so I will try that next - probably later this week...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts