Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to ALL,
I just purchased an almost new 4.5 inch XDm in 9mm. My first 9mm, and my second polymer framed pistol. I'm in the N.E. corner of Kansas, and of course the outside temperature is dropping, too cold for these old bones to shoot.
I purchased 4 boxes of 115grain ammo. Is this light bullet what I need to be accurate for target shooting, or do I need to go heavier? (Is it 124grain?)

Thanks, in advance.

(BTW; I normally shoot / re-load 45acp, and will be re-loading the 9mm, in the near future...)

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Welcome. 115 gr. is fine for targets, and I use them without incident. I carry 124 gr. hollow point, and try to find 124 gr. round nose to target shoot, but 115 gr. is fine.
After leaving your comfy truck or your house, should take at least a box before you start feeling cold. Get out there and shoot.

·
Premium Member
128,168 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome from Georgia. I shoot 115gr for target shooting in my XDM 9mm 4.5

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
NE-Ohio is nowhere near as frigid as where you are, I'm sure. :smile:

The typical 115 gr. range-fodder will be just fine. Bench/bag the gun to see what it can really do at 15 and 25 yards, so you get a baseline.

Most reputable training classes will have students shooting out to at least the 25 yard line, and in the more rigorous ones, you'll be asked to shoot for-score, with set standards, at the 10 and the 25. There's no mad-dash back to the staging area for "match grade" ammo or anything of the like - guys and gals, and the instructors doing the demo, just top off their mag with whatever cheap range-fodder they've bought and bang it out. :)

Holding an ~5-shot 5-inch group at 25 yards (essentially keeping everything in the black on a NRA B8 Repair-Center) with cheap range-fodder of the 115 gr. variety should not be an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you to ALL that have answered. I'm no spring chicken @ 58 y/o - with multiple medical problems, and have been shooting for years... Just new to the 9mm and also new to the S.A. XDm...

Jim = stainless45

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts