Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my pistol 2 weeks ago and finally got to go shoot it yesterday. Between the wife, son-in-law and myself we fired approximately 200 rounds. No FTF or FTE, ammo brands were WWB, Blazer, Tula, Remington UDC (I think), Monarch (brass and steel cases), DRT, Federal HST and Hornady Critical Duty standard pressure and +P. Accuracy seemed to be very good, however my aiming leaves a bit to be desired at the moment (although I did shoot much better with Python) and I had never shot using the thumbs forward grip so was having to get used to shooting like that. I was able to put some in the X but most were grouped either low and center or right and center (left hand shooter). Next time I go back to the range it will probably help if I stick to just one or two brands of ammo tho. I'm not a big fan of the over travel or trigger pull as others have stated, but I know its new and the trigger should lighten up a tad after its been shot some more. Still I foresee a PRP Ultimate trigger kit going into it sometime in the next couple of months. Overall I really like the pistol and can't hardly wait to get back out and shoot it some more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, ya'll! Ordered the PRP yesterday, got an email today saying its been shipped. Don't think I'm going to attempt to install the trigger myself, I'm real good at taking things apart but seem to always have a bit of a problem putting them back together :). Have a LGS just up the road that works on guns so I plan on taking it there. Not sure what its going to cost but hopefully it will at least be done right the first time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just watch the videos on you tube and do it yourself, they are simple to install.

I put one in my XDM9 and I love it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'd develop good trigger control through practice first. A new trigger isn't gonna fix bad habits. Just my way of thinking anyway...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd develop good trigger control through practice first. A new trigger isn't gonna fix bad habits. Just my way of thinking anyway...
This is important. I assumed ( you know what they say about that ) that op was experienced enough

After you finish trigger job you should only load one round in magazine at a time because inexperienced people tend to double tap light triggers

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Congratulations, and enjoy! :p

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This is important. I assumed ( you know what they say about that ) that op was experienced enough

After you finish trigger job you should only load one round in magazine at a time because inexperienced people tend to double tap light triggers
One can only hope!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not particularly inexperienced, true it is the first large caliber semi that I have bought for myself, but currently own a Ruger Single Six (357 mag), Colt Python, Walther P38 and a Browning Buck Mark .22 not to mention the various rifles and shotguns. Also have shot a Smith and Wesson 9mm yrs ago that belonged to my Dad but someone stole it out of his house. I mainly want the trigger kit because of the over travel (I knew about this before I bought the pistol) not going to object to the lighter trigger pull and from what I've read it sounds like its going to be about the same amount the Python has so shouldn't be to much to adjust to besides being careful not to do double taps.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You will love the shorter, lighter trigger pull and same crisp reset with the PRP. I have them in all my SA's except the XDs ( because there is no PRP kit for the XDs).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like the trigger as is for now myself....hope all is good with your upgrade....me....I didn't like a light trigger in a semi....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well won't know until I get it put in and get the chance to shoot it, but if I don't like it I can always have them put the stock springs back in and just have the shortened over travel.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well won't know until I get it put in and get the chance to shoot it, but if I don't like it I can always have them put the stock springs back in and just have the shortened over travel.
True dat...I'm so used to my stock trigger (had it for 3 yrs now) that I'm not sure I could switch. My buddy put one in his xd, shoots really nice. I'm sure you'll like yours a lot!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The choice is obviously yours but the stock trigger in my XDM40 is pretty darn good IMO. YMMV

...a wise man once said "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Of course I'm a hypocrite to some degree for posting this.:lol:

·
Registered
166 Posts

Learning to trap the trigger will eliminate any possibility of an accidental double tap, as well as making follow up shots more accurate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts