Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found the XDM Forum recently, and am getting used to my new Springfield XDM 5.25 9 mm DuoTone. Spent a day just getting familiar with it, including learning how to load the Magazine. Pretty easy once I was able to load the first one.

I will be headed out to the range for the first time early in the next week. This is my first time with a semiautomatic, so that should be interesting. My only other experience with a handgun is with a revolver.

Lots of useful information in the Forum, I have enjoyed reading new and older posts over the past two days.

Phil
Keller TX

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Phil!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome from Georgia and congrats on a great gun. Let us know how you do at the range.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I also started with a revolver and progressed to an auto, but they are a different animal! You have a lot more to think about if/when something goes a-muck, and it will at some point. The XDm platform is an excellent pistol and you'll have many hours of fun. Might even want to try some pistol classes when your more comfortable with it. Congrats and have fun here on the forum too...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcomes, and suggestions re classes. That is definitely in the plans but I do want to become more familiar with the basics of the XDM first.

The Forum has already been helpful as I have become more familiar with the slide lock lever than I ever thought I would be. With the mag in place (empty) it is very difficult to release, but much less so when the mag is removed. I would have worried about that all weekend if I hadn't read the Forum thread. Between the XDTalk Forum and Youtube -- maybe I didn't really need to spend the money on the pistol/ Just kidding!

I also started with a revolver and progressed to an auto, but they are a different animal! You have a lot more to think about if/when something goes a-muck, and it will at some point. The XDm platform is an excellent pistol and you'll have many hours of fun. Might even want to try some pistol classes when your more comfortable with it. Congrats and have fun here on the forum too...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
apdaphil --

I am primarily a revolver shooter. Got the XDM as a Christmas gift.
I do like shooting it. It is a fun & learning experience.

Stay safe Have fun Enjoy

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Welcome from Florida!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! I had not intended to hit the range so early in the week, but after reading the XDTalk Form over the weekend I woke up raring to go and headed out to my local range.

Awesome! I started with my Ruger GP100 Revolver and this I did a decent job hitting the bullseye for 30 rounds. Amazing how accurate these things are when you take your time.

Then on to the Springfield Armory 9 mm XDm 5.25 Bi-Tone pistol, not certain what to expect. Two hundred rounds later I am thrilled with my new friend. When I took my time I could put all 20 rounds (19+1) within a 4 in circle from 5.0 yds -- OK, not a great distance, and did nearly as well from 10 yds - at that distance I could barely see the bullseye -- aging takes its toll.

I finished up with 40 rounds rapid fire, and the spread was more significant than with careful aiming, but all rounds still were within the 6 inch circumference of the target,

I'm not sure yet how to measure accuracy with a gun, but both the revolver and pistol has exceeded my expectations; and both are a blast. You can sure blow through a lot of ammunition with the semiautomatic though.

I left for the range with 500 rounds of 9 mm, and hoped to shoot 100 from a mix of American Eagle, Blazer and Remington 115 gr ammo, but I was having so much fun I didn't stop until 200 rounds had reached their target.

Now I can figure out how to clean my new XDm. Great day!

·
Super Moderator
46,418 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome to the forum from The Woodlands, TX!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts