Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a field strip of my gun for the first time the other night and I took the barrel and the guide rod out. To my suprise, it seemed that the spring was "attached" to the guide rod. I didn't think it was supposed to be, but I didn't want to try and pry the two apart.

If I want a chrome or stainless steel guide rod for the XDm 9, I thought they just shipped the guide rod because you are supposed to use the same spring.

Am I correct in assuming that the spring and the guide rod(stock) should be able to pull apart? Or are they actually attached.

Maybe a dumb question, but I didn't want to break anything. So I figured I would ask the professionals about it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
They are seperate pieces. The fit may be a little tight since it is a new gun. Put a brick in your purse and you should be able to seperate them no problem :D j/k Good Luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are seperate pieces. The fit may be a little tight since it is a new gun. Put a brick in your purse and you should be able to seperate them no problem :D j/k Good Luck
:p hahaha funny guy...

Yea, I need to toughen up...I just wanted to make sure they did in fact come apart before I tried to seperate the two. Thanks for letting me know. :D

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Did you look at your manual? If you did, I think it shows that the guide rod and spring are pretty much an assembly. No need at all to separate them to clean or maintain your gun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you look at your manual? If you did, I think it shows that the guide rod and spring are pretty much an assembly. No need at all to separate them to clean or maintain your gun.
But the reason I am interested is becauses I may get one of those Don's guide rods. I know that the Don's doesn't come with a spring, and I thought you could just use the spring that already came with the gun. That is why I am curious.

I tried again last night after I fired and cleaned my XDm. I still couldn't get the spring off the guide rod. Once again, I may not be pulling hard enough, but I don't understand why it seems glued to the one end...seems strange.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I tried again last night after I fired and cleaned my XDm. I still couldn't get the spring off the guide rod. Once again, I may not be pulling hard enough, but I don't understand why it seems glued to the one end...seems strange.
Mine is snug too (and my XDm is new, as well) ... I just used a little screwdriver to gently pry them apart. I guess the new spring is just tight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take a closer look at the capped end of the stock guide rod. It is flared just a touch there. Turn the spring so the end of the wire is towards you and put your fingernail in there and pull down. You just need to pull the spring past that flare. It doesn't hurt anything to take it apart, and it will go back together just fine. Makes it much easier to get all the grime off the guide rod that accumulates over time.

If you cant figure it out I'll post a picture when I get home from work today.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone out there playing with different guide rod / spring combos? I did come across someone who was using a stainless rod. I suppose it would be good to add weight to the front and reduce recoil.

I will be adding the Viridian X5L when it ships (hopefully soon!) so weight in the front wont be needed. (not that it was needed to begin with. Especially with my m9)
-gM4dd

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Take a closer look at the capped end of the stock guide rod. It is flared just a touch there. Turn the spring so the end of the wire is towards you and put your fingernail in there and pull down. You just need to pull the spring past that flare. It doesn't hurt anything to take it apart, and it will go back together just fine. Makes it much easier to get all the grime off the guide rod that accumulates over time.

If you cant figure it out I'll post a picture when I get home from work today.
If you care to add pictures, I sure wouldn't mind. But only if it is no trouble to you. I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
just twist and PULL...... It comes off!!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
my xdm40 has a couple thousand rounds through it and the spring still sticks ti the guide od. i always have to put my thumbnail in the small gap to pry it off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts