Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought an XD 40 with the green grip and stainless slide. I was looking for a .40 S&W chambered service pistol and liked the features and the price of the XD. It fits very nicely in hand. The tool-free fieldstripping is a plus as are the visual and tactile safety indicators. I'll report on accuracy after I've cycled some rounds through on the range. I considered Glock and Ruger, but I liked the feel over the Glock and frankly liked the look of the green polymer frame/grip and stainless slide. The reviews of the XD commented favorably on out-of-the-box accuracy.

Bought at the Cabellas in Phoenix. The gun staff there was expert and knowledgeable and helped in the review of the options in my stated price range. I like Cabellas because there's another one in Southern Minnesota near our Northern Iowa lake property. They've had a run on gun sales since the election. For me it was a long planned birthday present.

I have property in both AZ and IA so it will get some time in both climates. I'm in Phoenix currently.

I've shot 1911 .45s, Ruger 9mm, Ruger .22s, and various revolvers, but this is my first .40 S&W auto.

My only complaint is that the slide release is relatively small and requires significant pressure to depress. For service use the lack of any significant projection is an advantage. There's nothing to hang-up. For range use it might be nice to find a wider slide release, but there is probably some safety aspect as well in not making it too easy to release the slide. It's a common issue, so not unique to the Springfield Armory XD. I might also like the 1911 style manual safety now offered in the XD .45, but the XD's standard safety set seems well calculated to prevent unintentional discharge while facilitating combat ready carrying.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Welcome from Minnesota!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum from CT.

·
Premium Member
127,427 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First time to the range with my new XD40 4" green/stainless service pistol. Shot Winchester target rounds. Not as steady as I used to be, but the XD40 was easy to handle and accurate out of the box. I took a couple of targets to learn the sight picture at 25 yards. I started out a bit low, but adjusted. I still was spread out horizontally more than vertically. Shot fifty rounds and the groups were about 2" high and spread out along a line 6" to 4" wide, maybe just a tad right of center. I'm sure the variations are more me than the gun, as I'm shakier (high blood pressure) and poorer vision than I used to be. The XD40 was very comfortable in the hand, with controlled recoil, and a progressive, predictable trigger. It was easy to squeeze and know when it would fire. I'm very happy with it. I need to get more magazines so I'm not consuming as much time reloading at the line, but the XD40 is sweet. I love the olive drab frame and stainless slide for looks. It was recommended to me at the gun shop for my consideration. It was a good suggestion for the price and features. I like the 1911 grip angle. I also have a Ruger MKIII 22/45, and I've fired more rounds through 1911-style .45s than anything else, though it's been a few years since I shot regularly. Thumbs up in my opinion. Great handling gun and more accurate than me out of the box.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Welcome from Iowa.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts