Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've shot friend's .45s, some 9mms, black powder rifles etc. from time to time, but man.. This thing kicks!

I spent a couple days practicing dry fire, establishing a grip, exercising the controls, etc. but finally took it to the range today and it's awesome! No malfunctions, no issues at all.

I'm not that awesome yet... need to get more consistent. Working on my grip and stance only next time. This time I was having too much fun to focus on the fundamentals.

Hoping I can get to the range at least 2 or 3 times per week for a while so I've been trying to accumulate enough practice ammo in case the supply lines get even more constricted than they already are.

Used 50 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass FMJ today, but I've also ordered some Magtech, Federal AE and some Winchester. Also a variety of JHP to run through and see what the gun seems to prefer.

The shop I bought it at had only Sellier Bellot FMJ and Prvi Partizan JHP and wanted about 30% more than they sell for elsewhere.

I'm sure there are opinions abound about all of these, any suggestions?

·
Registered
654 Posts
First gun and you went 10mm? Baller move. You live in bear country?

·
Registered
Got ammo?
226 Posts
Howdy!

I'm just an old noob here with my first XD too so I will welcome you with a shy wave. 🙋‍♂️

There are a lot of helpful folks around here, in particular Mr. @TSiWRX has shared a lot of great info in my threads. Get training, practice fundamentals, learn it right the first time, etc. I'm soaking it up like good sausage gravy!

Your new XD sounds like a blast! :D(y)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome to the fun! You didn’t mention what bbl length you have but out of my 5.25 XDM the Magtech run right at 1210 FPS. I went with the #20 spring and it functions with a wide range of loads and cushions better than the stock one. It helps keep the brass in the same county and softens recoil. Also have a #22 for the steamy stuff. Just keep practicing and you’ll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the 5.25 version.

The 10mm choice was mainly out of ammo availability. I hit a milestone birthday early this year and getting into shooting is always something I wanted to do, so I went out and got my permit, then covid shut down all the ranges for a few months. By the time they opened up again ammo in any other caliber was scarce, and still kinda is unless you want to pay a lot extra.

There are still stockpiles of 10mm around. It's the ammo that time forgot.

Also, I figure if I can tame this beast I can tame anything.

We do have black bear caught on camera in my neighborhood a few times a year, but I haven't seen any myself.

Anyone know what the factory spring weight is in the 10mm model? Just wondering how far off the 20# it is right now. I've found lots of posts stating 18# for the 9mm and .40 so I imagine Springfield just made everything the same but couldn't find any info. They didnt bother mentioning the 10mm anywhere in the owners manual either, or provide any info on the adjustable rear sight.

I've seen people claim both ways that felt recoil is lighter or heavier as spring weight goes up or down.

Seems it would be load dependent. I'd think a heavier load would want a heavier spring to give the mag enough time to feed properly. Go too low and the slide might interfere with the feed, go too high and it doesnt cycle fully.

The only mod I've been considering seriously is the solid ss guide rod from Springer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I haven’t measured the factory spring weight, (need to make a tool) but I do know the #20 is a fair amount stiffer by just installing it. That and the distance brass is thrown is about half. Even with a 1100 FPS 165 load the factory would toss brass about 12-15 feet, whereas the #20 is 4-6 feet. FWI if you order one from Wolff it’s the same spring that the 4.5” uses.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Hunter, I'm sold! Last night alone I got hit in the head by at least 10 casings bouncing off the divider out of 50 rounds, sometimes it bounces 2 or three times. Makes for some good focus training I guess.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The only mod I've been considering seriously is the solid ss guide rod from Springer.
Is there something wrong with your stock guide rod?
Yes, I'm being lippy. No, you don't need a new one.
However there are some trigger kits available that are great.

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there something wrong with your stock guide rod?
Yes, I'm being lippy. No, you don't need a new one.
However there are some trigger kits available that are great.
Trigger kit... maybe someday... I dont feel like there is any issue with the stock trigger but i wouldn't know better anyway.

The only report of a mechanical failure I've seen on these xdm pistols is the flange failing on the guide rod. Who knows, maybe someone was being abusive to that one.

Being a flared tube that gets hammered 1000s of times at its weakest point, it makes sense to me that failure will happen eventually. Everything on this gun feels solid except the guide rod. At the rate I'm going I'll put 1000 rounds through this gun before thanksgiving.

$25 sounds like a pretty good insurance policy.

The extra ounce and a half of non reciprocating weight at the end of the barrel can only help with recoil, but I'm not expecting much.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've read of aftermarket GRs failing hense my skepticism.
The basic PRP Easy Fit trigger kit reduced the trigger pull distance by half, pull weight by 3/4# and yielded a much cleaner break.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Welcome to the “Dark Side” of calibers young Jedi.

My first 10 was a S&W 1076 and my first centerfire pistol. The XD 10 5.25 is my fifth 10.

Being a “stock” type of person, my suggestion would be to work on mastering the XD in factory condition, then decide what changes if any to make.

My reloads are 180gr jhp over 12 grs of accurate # 7 for a velocity just over 1200 fps.
YMMV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven’t measured the factory spring weight, (need to make a tool) but I do know the #20 is a fair amount stiffer by just installing it. That and the distance brass is thrown is about half. Even with a 1100 FPS 165 load the factory would toss brass about 12-15 feet, whereas the #20 is 4-6 feet. FWI if you order one from Wolff it’s the same spring that the 4.5” uses.
I installed the solid guide rod, 20# recoil spring and the corresponding striker spring that came with it today. The guide rod is much more robust... the 20# spring seems to result in more of a push than a snap. I think I like it, take a couple days to really understand. It does feel flatter.

I did notice being hit by less brass today also.

Thanks for the tips!

·
15,927 Posts
So do you know much about the 10? Well, welcome to the club. It's small. First gun... Props.

So you are going to pay a serious premium on 10mm on the shelf. Definitely order on line. The cheapest good ammo is usually Sig. Quality ammo and full power. Their V-crown defensive ammo is also usually cheapest, and has always performed really well in any test I've seen it in. After that, I basically order everything from Underwood Ammo. Full power, quality, FMJ is usually same as Sig, and all the defensive stuff is loaded wit Gold Dot, Nosler, or SWC.

And yes, 10mm is usually on a shelf... But it's always expensive, and anything on the shelf is watered down 40 SW load. So getting a stronger spring, your shooting will be all over the place. And I hate watered down ammo that's expensive. Fed AE is usually worst, even though it's quality.

Now Federal finally came out with some 10mm HST... Made as 10mm...not 40 SW. I like it because... Well I love HST... But because it's right in the middle of 40 and full power 10mm. It's a really nice shooting round. Not cheap, cause it's new, but if you can pick any up... Do. Other than that, I'm pretty much exclusive to Underwood, unless I see some Sig at SG Ammo for a good price. Have fun...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At this point I'm accumulating enough quality practice ammo to get through this "the sky is falling" ammo shortage.

After the election I'm expecting things to still be tight for a while. Production will continue to be down as coronavirus spikes again. Demand will continue to be high through inauguration day no matter who wins.

If I can get my hands on any of that HST I'll pick some up.

I was able to scoop a couple hundred rounds of sig but it hasn't arrived yet.

·
Registered
Got ammo?
226 Posts
Hi!

At this point I'm accumulating enough quality practice ammo to get through this "the sky is falling" ammo shortage.

After the election I'm expecting things to still be tight for a while. Production will continue to be down as coronavirus spikes again. Demand will continue to be high through inauguration day no matter who wins.

If I can get my hands on any of that HST I'll pick some up.

I was able to scoop a couple hundred rounds of sig but it hasn't arrived yet.
Yes, tell me about "the sky is falling" ammo shortage. :rolleyes: I've been ranting about ammo and sharing my hunting and gathering adventures for a while now in this thread.

I've picked up only a couple boxes of SD ammo for my XD9, Federal Punch 147 grain and Barnes TAC-XPD 115 grain +P. Paying over a dollar a round kinda hurts. :p

Let's hope this madness ends soon. God bless. Take care.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts