Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first Springfield pistol, an XDe in 9mm with 3.3" barrel. The carry combo with four magazines, case and holster.

Got pistol home and found magazine not locking in place all the time. Magazine release button was sticking and causing this condition. I put on some CLP and worked in. Seems to generally be working now, but do not find magazine release button to have very strong spring. As I said first time buyer of Springfield, so wondering if this is condition often encounter and if this model is prone to having magazines drop out on when you do not want them to do so?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Seems like a little lube was all that was needed. I can say my XDe has a much easier to press mag release button than my 1st gen XDs for what that's worth. I know a lot of people complained about the XDs mag release being to hard to press.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
This tends to happen with any semi auto, esp when new and stiff.

If full mag need to push up on base to overcome mag spring pushing rounds against bottom of closed slide. Or first lock slide back, insert mag, release slide.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This tends to happen with any semi auto, esp when new and stiff.

If full mag need to push up on base to overcome mag spring pushing rounds against bottom of closed slide. Or first lock slide back, insert mag, release slide.
I have several different pistol manufactures that require quite a kick to lock the magazine in. But the OP was talking about a "Sticky mag release button". My recommendation would be to lubricate it as the OP did, watch it for a short time and if it starts doing it again, return it to Springfield for repair. My XDE (9mm) has never seen this problem. Could be a one off issue

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP here. Went out to the range yesterday and magazine catch worked fine. Hopefully all it needed was a bit of lube and some use.

Now my concern is with stiff double action pull, see my post on this topic. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Im glad OP sorted out, but I've consistently had the same issues with my mag release button. Even after lubrication it still happens from time to time. I had taken the mag release button out to clean and it was a nightmare to line back up to get that spring captured again, just to test it and it didn't make much of a difference. There are similar complaints about the xds from years ago. The mechanism seems to get hung up in the frame.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im glad OP sorted out, but I've consistently had the same issues with my mag release button. Even after lubrication it still happens from time to time. I had taken the mag release button out to clean and it was a nightmare to line back up to get that spring captured again, just to test it and it didn't make much of a difference. There are similar complaints about the xds from years ago. The mechanism seems to get hung up in the frame.
zaxxon,

OP here. I hear what you are saying. I fired XDE for first time on Monday. Before taking out on Monday I cleaned, noticed sticking mag catch and worked it loose. Anyhow, worked fine at range on Monday. Today, Thursday I got around to cleaning. I took XDE from box and removed empty mag and eased mag back in. Would not click in unless I slapped mag base with heel of hand.

After some working mag catch it did click in when eased mag back in. But in the three days mag catch did begin to stick. Time will tell I suppose. Thanks for your response. Good to know I am not alone.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Best to not slap. That is for Hollywood only. Can mess up lips as they strike against bottom of slide. Best to firmly push up against base. Or slide back as i explained last post.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP back again. I think MAY have corrected. I flushed out up using non chlorinated brake cleaner. I put applicator tube down mag well and hit mag release directly. Then followed up with WD40, a very light lube. Again time for tell if this is long lasting fix, but no sticking so far.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP back again. Saga continues. When cleaning xde I added just a bit more WD40 to mag release mechanism from inside mag well with applicator. You guessed it, jammed up again. Then I got some canned air - what you use to clean computer. Went down in mag well with applicator and blew air on mag release mechanism and at least for now working ok. Right now and I may change opinion again, I think mag release needs to be clean with no or at least extremely little lube. Seems any lube can jam it. Light lube less likely. If others have experimented I would appreciate hearing your experiences and thoughts.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Throw the WD40 away and get some dry film lube. WD40 should never be used on firearms. It gums up something terrible in just a few months of storage. It's 1960's lube tech.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Three theories:
  1. There might be a burr or irregularity on a contact surface of the button that is preventing it from moving correctly.
  2. The button, which is a MIM part, may be slightly out of spec and tad too large.
  3. The spring might be weak.
My suggestion would be to disassemble the whole thing and take a look at it. You have to knock out that pin through the frame that holds the spring and lever assembly with a 1/16th punch. Then lightly sand (1000 grit) the shaft of the button. Also make sure the channel in which is moves is perfectly round and clear of burrs or bumps. Then reassemble, making sure the spring is seated property and moves easily.

Your comment on using light lube makes sense, but it is also true that WD-40 is not a great lubricant - it is mostly a liquid vehicle that supplants moisture and then evaporates, leaving some residue. I agree with 835Mag that it shouldn't be used on guns. I'd go the other direction and try some light gun oil instead of the WD-40 -- after polishing the parts.

Good luck with it -- you can always send it back to Springfield Armory, but there is no fun in that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP here. Just got off call with Springfield customer service re sticking mag catch. I recounted my experience with mag catch and asked if best to just keep dry. Rep said yes best to keep dry and use of compressed canned air was acceptable way to achieve dry condition. Rep said if problem happens again to call and they would send prepaid fed ex mailing label for me to mail in and have them check out.

Seems to be working fine now that I used canned air, so I will continue to monitor and probably give mag catch a little shot of canned air each time I clean.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If it gets to grimy you can still clean it with solvent and a toothbrush. Then wash it out with a good residue free synthetic safe gun scrubber type cleaner. It should leave it clean and dry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OP here. Just got off call with Springfield customer service re sticking mag catch. I recounted my experience with mag catch and asked if best to just keep dry. Rep said yes best to keep dry and use of compressed canned air was acceptable way to achieve dry condition. Rep said if problem happens again to call and they would send prepaid fed ex mailing label for me to mail in and have them check out.

Seems to be working fine now that I used canned air, so I will continue to monitor and probably give mag catch a little shot of canned air each time I clean.
Any further feedback on this issue?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OP here. In response to 1clickbang so far working well. With covid I have only gotten out a few times to range. After shooting I have just cleaned pistol normally with no attention to mag release and it continues to work fine. I think I will give it a blast of compressed/canned air next time I clean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts