Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I've been researching a first-time fire-arm for the last few months. This past Friday, I went to the range for the first, shot a firearm for the first time and put about 500 rounds through rentals over Friday and Saturday. I tried 9mm Glock 17, MP9 and XD9 (service and tactical), and a 45 caliber XD9. The XD9 was a clear winner for me, so I purchased an XD9 tactical yesterday (along with Trijicon night sites). I was really happy with the way things worked out.

Before hitting the range, I was leaning heavily towards the Glock 17. They are a proven solution used heavily by LEO. However, after handling them in the pro-shop, I started to consider the XD9. I liked the grip and feel, and the additional safety features are a plus for me as a newbie (grip safety, loaded chamber indicator and firing-pin indicator). I've heard a lot about the MP9, so decided to check it out as well. The ergo on the gun is definitely nice too.

Once I was out on the range, the XD9 was a clear winner from a shoot ability perspective. I was able to shoot much more accurately with it, and felt more comfortable doing so. I think it was because of the grip angle, as well as the trigger pull. The decision point was when I transition from the Glock 17 to the XD9 tactical (not exactly a fair comparison, I will give you that). I went from groupings of over an inch to groupings within half an inch right off the bat.

I tried the MP9, but couldn't shoot as well with it. I also had a weird FTF where the magazine as pushed out of the bottom a bit (I always tap on the magazines when I insert them to make sure they are flush). This put me off a bit.

After deciding on the XD9, I had to decide on caliber. I tested out the XD45 and really enjoyed shooting it. I really like the way the larger caliber fires, and it's pretty obvious from the size and weight of the mag how much more stopping power there is over the same number of 9mm rounds. As much as I wanted to get it, I just couldn't shoot very well with it (my newbie status kicking in). I had trouble getting any sort of groupings. Between that and the premium for ammo, I decided to go with 9mm for my first gun, put many rounds down range, and then go for a 45 next time around (maybe even a 1911).

So, ordered my XD9 tactical yesterday. Looking forward to picking it up and practicing with it a couple of weeks for now.

By the way, if you have any tips/pointers/links for a newbie, especially with breaking in my new pistol, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
I went from groupings of over an inch to groupings within half an inch right off the bat.
Impressive shooting. I've been at it well over a decade now and don't land all my shots in a group under half an inch in size.

Congrats on the new pistol, looking forward to pics of the pistol and your target the next time you hit up the range. ;)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome from Georgia.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Impressive shooting. I've been at it well over a decade now and don't land all my shots in a group under half an inch in size.

Congrats on the new pistol, looking forward to pics of the pistol and your target the next time you hit up the range. ;)
Totally not impressive... I should have mentioned, the target was very, very close and it was only a 3 shot group :) The rest of the day I was all over the place (especially with the 45). It's already clear to me that I'm going to have to put in some serious range time as well as a class or two to become even passably proficient.

Will definitely post pictures of the pistol and targets soon!

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Totally not impressive... I should have mentioned, the target was very, very close and it was only a 3 shot group :) The rest of the day I was all over the place (especially with the 45). It's already clear to me that I'm going to have to put in some serious range time as well as a class or two to become even passably proficient.

Will definitely post pictures of the pistol and targets soon!
With a realistic outlook like that and the willingness to learn, I foresee great things in your future. Welcome to the forum. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts