Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I just took my new XD 9 out to the range yesterday. I went through about 100 rounds. I have a very limited experience with handguns at the moment, which is why I got an XD!

For some reason, I'm having a harder time shooting accurately at 18 yards. I have a few questions for everyone.

Does the gun need to be "broken" in to shoot accurately? (I was only using 9MM FMJ at the range)

To shoot accurately no but it will stabilize as the rough edges wear in, this usually happens after about 500 rounds.

Could it be that I just need more experience with the new firearm?

Shooting hand guns is a lot harder than it looks in the movies. You will need to develop the proper skills needed to shoot accurately. The more you practice the better you will get. The are some good books and videos that teach the correct mechanics needed to become a good shooter. Proper grip and trigger squeeze are probably the 2 most important things you need to learn.

Does accuracy change that much with different types of ammo?

The ammunition very significant impact of the accuracy of your gun. I would suggest that you bench rest your gun and try different factory ammo. The bullet weight, type, powder type and charge all greatly impact the flight of the bullet. Your gun will have bullets that it shoots well and others that it will not shoot as well. Finding out this information is part of the fun of shooting and is the primary reason people get into reloading. Reloading is cheaper but it's more about developing the perfect load combination for you and your gun.
Now that you have the gun enjoy learning how to get the most out of it and becoming a better shooter.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.