Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just picked up a new 45C at the gun show, cant wait to shoot at the range sometime this week.
I also picked up a box of 50 Federal Premium HST 230 Grain that were at a good price, Has anybody shot this ammo and how good or bad is it?
just curios this is my first 45. I've had a 40SC for about six months and it doesn't really care what i feed it.
Thanks in advanced for any info you guys may have.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
You've got some really good self-defense ammo there, your gun should love it! I just got an XDc .45 2 weeks ago myself. You can shoot cheap ball ammo through it at the range so you don't break the bank, I usually just use Winchester white box 230g FMJ, I can get it at Wally World pretty cheap. I'd shoot some of the Federal good stuff, and save the rest of it to keep in your gun.

I say your gun SHOULD like that ammo, some guns like some ammo better than others, but as a former 1911 .45 owner, I can tell you that the XD seems to like everything I've run through it. You'll just have to shoot different ammo types through your gun and find out what it likes best, but so far, I've found my XD likes everything! You should have no problems! Enjoy the new gun!

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Great ammo, I personally use speer gold dots, but cant lose either way.

·
Registered
416 Posts
welcome

I usually shoot whatever is cheapest at the range

for SD, I prefer Hornaday 230g, +P XTP/JHP, my XD seems to really like them

·
Registered
17 Posts
not to brag but 7 months ago i hit a bad guy overseas twice center mass with 230 gold dots he dropped pretty quick little wiggle but that was it:roll::roll::evil::evil::evil:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I would however suggest whatever your defense ammo choice is, always run a box through the gun just for your own peace of mind that it will feed
Amen. The 230gr H/S feed fine in my 45C but I prefer the 165gr H/S. It's about 8% less effective according to the chart but I'm more accurate due to the lower recoil.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew I should of bought more ammo!!!! Oh well, time to start looking online for the best price on the HST ammo. I want to Thank everyone for there input and feedback, I,ll take the gun to the range this week and report back, I will probably purchase some FMJ from walmart and see how good it shoots thru paper.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
For the range I've used Speer Lawman, CCI, WWB, Remington, Magtech with no problems.
For SD I have Speer Gold Dots 230gr JHP and Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr (RA45T).
Life with the 45C is great. It pretty much likes everything you introduce to it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am the odd ball out here but I like hornady for defense ammo.

·
Banned
188 Posts
My XD45 wouldn't feed the HST properly for me to be comfortable carrying it. I haven't tried it again since installing the AGP springs, but I would like to soon. As for now I carry Golden Saber or Gold Dot.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My xd 9 service does not like remington fmj or hp

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:confused: I guess I'm definitely going to fire the HST to make sure that i don't have an issue with the .45 feeding the ammo, Can't understand it, my .40SC doesn't care what I feed It, About 700 rounds of just about anything and it just keeps shooting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just bought 50 rounds of the 230 grain HST hp. I've heard the xd doesn't feed them well but I'm going to try them out myself. They were cheaper than I expected seeing as though I got 50 for around $24.00 The pictures I've seen of the expanded HST bullets look phenominal so I guess it's worth a try at the range.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I have a XD45 and used Federal HST and it was the only time my XD jammed. Could have been a coincidence but i am not a coincidence kind of guy. Since I use Hornady TAP and Gold Dot Speer, both perform excellent.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I would say about 4 rounds. Got two jams in one clip so I gave the rest of the ammo to my brother. Then went out to ammo counter and picked up some gold dot's.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I have heard that some of the real short hollow points can be a problem but I have not had any problems with my XD45C.

I shoot a lot of WWB from walmart to practice. You can get a box of 100 for about $31. I think you will like the XD45C just fine. Go out and shot it and for your own opinion. I would not trade mine for anything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My xd 9 service does not like remington fmj or hp
My 45c loves remington fmj and hp's - it'll eat'em faster than I can buy'em! Not had the first prob with rem hp's - they are more accurate than the fmj (for me anyways!).

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
My XD45 had not had any problems with Gold Dots, HSTs, Golden Sabers or Silvertips. It feeds all of them without a problem I have not had any FTF. I personally have in my carry gun Gold Dots. My particular XD45 seems to be the most accurate with them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts