Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the new XD40 out this morning with a handful of Rainier 165gr FP's, mixed once fired and resized brass (mostly Remington & CCI) 7.2gr of Hogden HS-6 & CCI small pistol primers. Accuracy was awsome, cases & primer pockets looked perfect, barrel cleaned easily,...however,..roughly 4 times in 50 shots the action locked open on a loaded clip as if I where empty with no rhyme or reason,..could have had 5 shots remaining, could have had 10 shots remaining. Everything looked fine in the clip, the next round available with sitting perfectly in the magazine. Dropped the slide release as if it where a fresh mag & things went well for another handful of shots before doing it again. Is there something that needs adjustment with the load, the COL or is there a slight chance being a new XD it still had some packing grease in it & needed a complete cleaning? Maybe holding it a bit too loosly with the rear grip safety? Kinda curious & would hate to have to change the load with the accuracy I'm getting. Any pointers or similar experiences you might share are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Try the search function.

Also check the position of your thumbs.

The slide locking back prematurely is a VERY common complaint with new XD shooters.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
yeah I have this issue being left handed wearing gloves sometimes. I've read issues with the slide lock needing to be shaved like no more than .025" or something to make sure the cartridge doesn't bump the slide lock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had this happen a few times as well. My hands are pretty big and I can never figure out what to do with my thumbs. I have forced myself to start using the thumb cut out and it has helped quite a bit. My consistency is better as well.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well your thumbs should be touching, just slightly resting on the grip. I shot 120 rounds out my new XD .40 with no problem, so far

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update......was definately the way I was gripping the pistol....made it a point to use the thumb groove....200 shots without a glich...thanks for the good advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a lefty shooter and own both a XD40SC and a XD45 Service with a 4" barrel.

I was just at the range and my 40SC kept locking back prematurely...I have never had this happen with my 45...Thinking the short grip is forcing my fingers into the slide lock...Will check this out next time at the range...

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Jason

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had that problem with another 3in toy that I have. It would even misfire . Found that my wide hand would cause my thumb to hit the slide or even the mag release. Was taught to grip without gripping with my pinky finger and all is well.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
2 things can cause this, thumb on the slide stop lever, or an over-large slide stop pin.

On the XD it's very easy for your thumb to press up on the slide stop and cause a premature slide lock. I put some grip tape specifically in the oval 'thumb spot' on teh side of my XD to help my thumb stay in the right place.

On XD40s, there are times when a bullet travelling up the magazine can actually hit the slide stop pin that is supposed to engage the empty magazine. This occurs because they use the same slide stop on the XD9 (designed first) and the XD40, even though the 40 bullets are larger. If your slide stop lever happens to be at the large end of factory specs, it can cause premature slide lock this way. I had this problem initially, and solved it by slightly filing down the pin that engages the empty mag. It still locks on an empty slide, but it gives a little more breathing room to bullets still inside the mag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts