Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post... great forum, I've learned a lot here already.

I just purchased a new XD9 service today, I'll be picking it up next Friday if my CPL doesn't get here first. I grew up shooting 1911s and the CZ clones, but this is my first new pistol in about 15 years. I'm big into hunting rifles and haven't had much use for sidearms... but I figured I should change that while I still could. So.... a long search began and I shot many pistols (EAA, Taurus 24/7, Glock, SIG) and the fates lead me to the XD.

My question is this: What should I expect from the pistol over the first 500 rounds or so? I shot the XD at the range several times over the past couple of weeks... and I shoot it pretty well. But, I'm certain that particular XD has seen many, many rounds! Should I disassemble and clean the gun immediately? Should I experience and FTF or FTE for the first few magazines through the pistol?

I'm pretty excited to get out and turn some $$$ into loud noises with it, just wondering what I should keep an eye out for.

JT

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'd wipe it down and oil the top of the barrel block before shooting it. I wouldn't expect any FTF or FTE either. Just don't use any bottom of the barrel ammo and you'll have no problems with FTFs or FTEs. The trigger will feel much better after shooting and dry firing. It's normal for shots to be off while you get used to the gun. A lot of people report low and to the left, some even think it's the sights, it's normally not. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Broke mine down on receipt, cleaned and oiled.
2 FTF (feed) (White Box) within the first 4 mags, now with 500+, it's all good. Accuracy was good out of the box.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Welcome from VT :D

In my experience (2 XD's) you just load a mag, rack the slide and fire until empty - repeat as required.

Clean it when you feel like it (after a shooting session for me).

That's pretty much it, the weapon just works - relentlessly.

Enjoy your new gun, I know you will.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think the best thing to do is to break it down and clean it fairly well first. The packing grease (or whatever you wanna call it) can get a little sticky if it warms up. It won't matter much after probably 50 rounds or so. The slide will probably be a little stiff at first, it will take it a little bit to loosen up. And the magazines will probably be pretty tough to load at first, it will take loading and unloading each mag several times before they lighten up. I had to use the mag loader that came with the xd to get mine loaded at first, now they are easily loaded by hand though.

Another thing you can expect is that you will quickly become addicted. And don't expect to be able to break that addiction fairly easy ;)

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I always break a new gun down and clean before firing; probably don't need to but that's just me. Only FTF on either the XD40 or XD9sc have been from reloads bought at gun shows. Both guns eat whatever you feed them. You should be good to go; clean or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i took my brand new XD9 Tactical to the range this past weekend, and i had two FTE and only fired 100 rounds of blazer brass CCI (brass, not aluminum)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I broke mine down and cleaned it before the range trip and I also break it down after every range trip to keep it in top shape (even though it can
handle not being cleaned just fine).

It should eat just about any ammo just fine. I use Blazer Brass from Walmart and have never had a FTF or FTE. Great gun!

Check out the Don's guide rod also. It is a great addition! Only upgrade to mine so far but the difference is amazing!

Good luck with your new XD and welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Welcome. You should at least clean the barrel out before shooting. The best way I have found is a bore snake. A little bore cleaner, and some rem-oil and you are good to go. As for field striping it's a personal thing. I field strip mine about every 500-1,000 rounds or so. Parts will be tight as first like the slide etc. The more you shoot, the more smoothe thinsg will bwcome. Just like buying a new car. As for ammo I buy the CCI Blazer for shooting. For carry I have Federal premimum hydrashock, and Speer gold dot hollow points.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right on... thanks for the advice. Picked up 500 rounds of the Winchester White Box ammo from Wal-Mart this evening. I figure I'll shoot half of it the first weekend... then 50 or so a week on my lunch break. I'm fortunate to have a nice indoor range within 5 miles of work. I'll post some picks when I get a chance to put it through the paces.

JT

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I broke mine down and cleaned it before the range trip and I also break it down after every range trip to keep it in top shape (even though it can
handle not being cleaned just fine).

It should eat just about any ammo just fine. I use Blazer Brass from Walmart and have never had a FTF or FTE. Great gun!

Check out the Don's guide rod also. It is a great addition! Only upgrade to mine so far but the difference is amazing!

Good luck with your new XD and welcome to the forum!!
++++++++++++++++++++
CRAT - what does the upgraded guide rod do for you? Just curious. Thx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Didn't clean my XD9 service, before I shot it with bottom of the barrel ammo.
500+ rounds of any ammo I can find to put thru her,and never any problems of any kind.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Didn't clean my XD9 service, before I shot it with bottom of the barrel ammo.
500+ rounds of any ammo I can find to put thru her,and never any problems of any kind.
Same. Took SC9 straight from sales counter to indoor range in same store. Shot 100 rounds of two different cheapie ball ammos. Right on.

- OS

·
Registered
902 Posts
expect 500 rounds of almost boring reliability.
+2k rds or so between SC9 and XDM9, aluminum case blazer, brass cased 115, 124, 147, 124+P, 127+P+ .....

·
Registered
948 Posts
not too sure about that ammo looks kinda cheap i got some and it has dents,pings and discolored on the bullet not the brass.look it up on here there is a post about it. :cool:

·
Registered
825 Posts
not too sure about that ammo looks kinda cheap i got some and it has dents,pings and discolored on the bullet not the brass.look it up on here there is a post about it. :cool:
Used plenty of it without issue.

800 rounds last weekend alone. . . . flawless.

Cheap, accurate and reloadable.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts