Springfield XD Forum banner

New XD Tactical - Range Report & Pict

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Silk-XD 
#1 ·
I picked up my XD Tactical last week and got to the range with it today. I put about 400 rounds through her. No problems at all. Perfect. After firing a couple hundred rounds I set up this target at 15 yrds and shot off-hand 13 rounds at about one round per second. This is a good grouping for me. I'm especially pleased since this is the first time I've shot an XD. Normally I shoot Sigs, so I had to get used to the sights. In fact, I'm gonna change out the sights for standard Sig sights next week. I don't like having to line up three dots. But this XD is a great gun. I can't wait to shoot a steel plate match with it in a few weeks.

See less See more
#10 ·
CONGRATULATIONS!

The Tactical model is a great choice for compitition. Very accurate. Good luck in your match. :)

#11 ·
I love my tactical, it is a great shooter. I put in a 20 lb increased power Wolf Spring in it, best idea I had. It now comes right back on target after each shot. Best thing about the springs is that the Tactical models use standard 1911 government springs, which you can find everywhere.
I got it for my 21st birthday and could not be happier.

#14 ·
Silk-XD said:
Will that 20lb spring work with any kind of 9mm ammo? Like your standard CCI Blaser 115gr FMJ? Just curious.
JJM
The standard 5" model spring weight is 18lb. With the 20lb spring I have used WWB 115gr FMJ, Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ, and Speer Lawman 147gr FMJ all with no problems. I know some people use a 22lb but I think that would be a little too much. Like I was saying with the 20lb I can shoot and have the same sight picture after every shot. It brings it back onto target better than the 18lb was doing for me. And if it doesn't work for you, it is like a $7-8 investment and you could give it to a buddy with a 1911 if you wanted because they use the same spring.

#17 ·
I finally took out the standard XD rear sight today. As someone said in this thread, the XD slide would not fit in the Sig sight pusher to extract the rear sight. I had to pound it out with a brass tap. No problem. I didn't need to file it down because I didn't use the pusher to extract it.

Then, to put in the new Sig rear sight, I had to jim up the slide on the bottom with a couple of small metal washers so that the sight could be pushed straight into the groove in the rear. It really wasn't that tough.

The front end of the slide did not fit in the Sig pusher at all, so I didn't change that out yet. I'll have to tap it out and tap in the new one. I think I'll wait till I take it to the range before I do that. But the XD front sight dot is significantly smaller than the Sig front sight dot. So that means I'll probably want to change it out eventually.

#18 ·
TeamXD said:
9mm Tactical is my soul provider. i am so comfortable with the gun and the caliber that its now second nature. But never let the comfort level override saftey. its a good choice and i hope that it brings you years of security and enjoyment.
Thats odd. I didn't know the XD or any XD had a saftey? My HK USP has one and I believe my SIG 226 has one.

#19 ·
Burke888 said:
TeamXD said:
9mm Tactical is my soul provider. i am so comfortable with the gun and the caliber that its now second nature. But never let the comfort level override saftey. its a good choice and i hope that it brings you years of security and enjoyment.
Thats odd. I didn't know the XD or any XD had a saftey? My HK USP has one and I believe my SIG 226 has one.
I think TeamXD was referring to the most important safety of all ... yourself! Maybe I'm misreading, but I thought he meant that he always respects his tactical, and does not become complacent due to familiarity. Regardless, always a good point to remember. =)

As for the handgun definition of safety, the XD has a grip safety, a trigger safety, and an internal block safety.

#22 ·
kabob983 said:
I can't seem to sight a Sig with that type of sight correctly. Probably because I don't know where to place the front doe in respect to the back stripe. I'll stick with the 3 dots, works better for me! :D
Well, everybody likes something different, and it's mostly about what you're used to. But I just set the front bead directly on top of the back bar--like an apple sitting on a fence post. For me when the pistol comes up out of the holster, I can line up two vertical floresant yellow objects faster than I can three horizontal ones. But, again, that's just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.