Springfield XD Forum banner

New XD Tactical - Range Report & Pict

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Silk-XD 
#1 ·
I picked up my XD Tactical last week and got to the range with it today. I put about 400 rounds through her. No problems at all. Perfect. After firing a couple hundred rounds I set up this target at 15 yrds and shot off-hand 13 rounds at about one round per second. This is a good grouping for me. I'm especially pleased since this is the first time I've shot an XD. Normally I shoot Sigs, so I had to get used to the sights. In fact, I'm gonna change out the sights for standard Sig sights next week. I don't like having to line up three dots. But this XD is a great gun. I can't wait to shoot a steel plate match with it in a few weeks.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if the "off-hand" gets a hyphen or not. As I understand it, the term is short for shooting without any sort of bench rest. You know, two hands with nothing to rest on or against.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
It's a 9mm. And the Sig sights I'm used to are shown below. Note that the rear sight has a single bar in the center that's lined up below the front sight's dot. It's a very quick way of aiming.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
I finally took out the standard XD rear sight today. As someone said in this thread, the XD slide would not fit in the Sig sight pusher to extract the rear sight. I had to pound it out with a brass tap. No problem. I didn't need to file it down because I didn't use the pusher to extract it.

Then, to put in the new Sig rear sight, I had to jim up the slide on the bottom with a couple of small metal washers so that the sight could be pushed straight into the groove in the rear. It really wasn't that tough.

The front end of the slide did not fit in the Sig pusher at all, so I didn't change that out yet. I'll have to tap it out and tap in the new one. I think I'll wait till I take it to the range before I do that. But the XD front sight dot is significantly smaller than the Sig front sight dot. So that means I'll probably want to change it out eventually.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
kabob983 said:
I can't seem to sight a Sig with that type of sight correctly. Probably because I don't know where to place the front doe in respect to the back stripe. I'll stick with the 3 dots, works better for me! :D
Well, everybody likes something different, and it's mostly about what you're used to. But I just set the front bead directly on top of the back bar--like an apple sitting on a fence post. For me when the pistol comes up out of the holster, I can line up two vertical floresant yellow objects faster than I can three horizontal ones. But, again, that's just me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.