Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys this is my first post. i have just bought a xd-40 tac and love the gun. i have the terrible bug of cant leave anything alone. i want to start shooting some local competions. i do not want to reload yet. what would be a good set up with factory ammo. this is what i am thinking from what i have been reading : dawson front sights, dons rod with a 16 spring, blade tech drop and offset holster. will wwb 165 grain shells be ok. if not what would be a good selection. whats is everyones ideas. as soon as i get something to go on i will be placing an order with pistol-gear. thanks and this is a great sight

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the funhouse!!
Dawson Fiber Optic front. Great for outdoors. Useless indoors unless the range has very good lighting.
Dons Rod. Recommend it.
16lb spring. Really not necessary if you are shooting factory loads. When you start reloading bunny fart loads go to it. Remember, when ever you change spring weight and bullet weight you need to re-time you trigger finger memory for the new set-up. Very critical in competition shooting, makes a big difference in double taps.
WWB 165. Lots of folks use it. Works good. If prefer the 180gr, but you have to decide that based on your shooting.
Dropped and Offset holster. Most shooting sports have restrictions on the gun position in relationship to the belt and/or body. Make sure you can pass the rules. I don't like them because they interfer with my thumb during the draw. I recommend a good belt slide holster.
Happy shooting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks fon the info. what happens when you change loads. say 165 gr to 185 what can you usual expect out of the guy, is there more recoil with the heavier grain bullet.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
My experience is that for the same power factor, the heavier bullet shoots softer.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
mudbuster said:
thanks man. sorry for so many questions. i am new to all of this
Ask away. Lots of experienced folks here that are happy to help and share their experiences. We all were new to shooting sports at one time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts