Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new on Friday and changed the sights to XS Big Dots. By the way these XD sights are the most brutal sights to remove. First shots today @10 yards indoor range. Started off high right then figured out how the Big Dots shot and dialed it in. I'm not a target shooter but was very happy how this gun shoots. To me anywhere on that circle is a good day. 100% function, no issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Congrats!!! That’s my next purchase.

The sight removal on the XDs are infamous for being difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi!

Fine and dandy. :) I love those reactive targets. I'm hoping to get my new sights dialed in this weekend (Or should I say "get my eyes dialed in"?). I opted for the SpeedSights.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Yup. Those Big Dots take a bit of practice.

Keep at it. I guaranty that you'll be able to hit a 12-inch steel at 100 yards with it, if you keep up your practice. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know part of the sell of these big dots is that they are useful for someone that doesn't have the best of vision. The issue I had with them is that I cannot see the vertical line of the rear sight clearly without corrected vision. All of my practice is without correction assuming that I won't have it at the time of urgent need.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
All of my practice is without correction assuming that I won't have it at the time of urgent need.
Try taping off your sights, after you're good-to-go with sighted fire.

Properly indexing the weapon - whether the shooter favors unsighted or even sighted fire - is really a thing. :) A good shooter can well get out to 20 or even 40+ yards on a C-zone target, completely without the sights, simply from good indexing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not criticizing, I just don't understand why change sites for ccw. I carry a XDE 45 on ankle and subcompact 45 on front waist. My street fighter is full size threaded 45. Have fun, and do what makes you happy; happy shooter, dead target lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not criticizing, I just don't understand why change sites for ccw. I carry a XDE 45 on ankle and subcompact 45 on front waist. My street fighter is full size threaded 45. Have fun, and do what makes you happy; happy shooter, dead target lol
Sights are a very personal preference thing, but the main reason to change, especially on a carry piece is to receive the benefit of night sights. If you carry, you should be equipt to shoot (accurately) at night. The addition of night sights and or a light attachment enables one to do so. Often times changing sights will improve accuracy. I find a contrasting front sight improves my accuracy quite a bit over standard 3 dot system or blacked out rear and white dot front.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well said, considering a night shot, does improve with training and the desire for light option. My street fighter , which I consider out to 40 yrds, has surefire xh35 and venom red dot. The xh35 offers a wide flood without a hot spot; 1k lumens low 5k candel perfect for close encounters. Vote straight ticket Republican!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
^ Have you had the chance to use the HX out to the 40, yet, low-light? Does it reach far enough for your needs?

For my eyes (which, of course, yours may differ), I find it to be just sufficient for PID at that distance, without photonic barriers . In more urban settings with lots of photonic barriers at-play, I find that it just doesn't have the punch necessary to go much farther than the 30.

Closer-in, as you noted, it's a great white-waller.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We shoot a lot and our top target is 30 yrds. The xh35 works well for us, and because of the low candel, it doesn't push the reflection. We put it on our mk23 45 too. We consider the x300 and it throws out the hot spot, but the view is so narrow, maybe not the best in a riot lol. It does have its application.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use the FNX 45 trk. XDE 45 ankle XD 45 subcompact on waist. This is the culture today; trained and prepared

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with you considering 40 yrds for identification, but with people running around, we prefer the wide flood view. We believe in multiple threats and not one specific target. We are happy with xh35

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Until they can put what's in the B.E.Meyer GLARE into these WMLs, it's too bad that we must choose. :) Surefire certainly was onto something with the Intellibeam, but in-practice it left a lot to be desired. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the future holds.

I definitely agree - too much hot-spot can cause what is essentially tunnel-vision. There was actually a great scene in one of Pat Rogers' videos that used to be free on YouTube, where one student completely "skipped over" a shoot-target in the shoot house, because the light he was using did not have sufficient spill. That was with yesteryear's technology, of-course, as it's been years since that video, but even today, It's still virtually impossible to balance the two.

·
Registered
22 Posts
On my truck, I have a 20" flood/drive light bar at grill hood level, and 30" Rigid adapt light bar on roll bar center of crew cab. This creates a dead spot so my pupils stay open to run 90 plus at night. As you said, each light has its application, and difficult to cross over. Today our available technology and equipment offers us the opportunity to to train and have fun. We are living in some exciting times; military/other, trained and walking the streets. Be careful out there, and vote Republican.
20200324_173042.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts