Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my xd sub 9 in black. 200 rounds through it in 1 day. ! failure to fully eject while shooting a round without a mag in place (probably not smart anyway, but this was my mini torture test. If I puller back the slide slowly and let it slide backslowly, it took a bit of a nudge to get the round to chamber, which is to be expected. All in all, did great with cheap wolf ammo.
Trouble is, I'm spoiled. I've had a kel-tec p3at which for all its shortcomings, one of the easiest guns one earth to conceal without using the old prison method. I found a computer external hard drive case that fit it perfectly and allows complete concealment in and out of pocket (can be next to you on the table at a restaurant while eating lunch, and no one the wiser). When caried in the pocket, it also alows for one fast draw. Trouble is, I want to use the same method with the xd sub, but can't think of anything that has a case of the same dimensions. I'm looking at small day planners, small cd cases, etc, and haven't found anything that is the same size (4.5 by 6.26 by 1.3). I have the picture of my previous rig, and hopefully, someone can suggest a good idea for the XD.
Thanks,
ACS
ok, how do I post the image (ie upload it from my computer so that all can see?)

Figured out, clip and paste this to browser:
http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf00013eb.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
ok, here's the pic.

http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf00013eb.jpg I hope that either of these works

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[email protected] it, I sure am glad someone around here is competent at posting pics. It sure isn't me. Thanks, and any ideas? Camera bags or old cassette walkman cases have come up, but the right size is tough to find. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I dunno man, the SC is no where near a p3at's dimensions. Its a pretty hefty gun, too big to slip in a coat pocket. It is a service gun and built as such. Kahr PM9 might suit you better. The best I can think of are those cheap Mead Day planners with the zip around case.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True enough, it isn't close to the p3at dimensions. I prefer the xd trigger (hate the DAO feel), so xd sub is it. Since I can stand with it in my front pocket and not have print or even an unsightly bulge (we'll forego the jokes, we all know them), I should be able to do it with a form fitting slip cover for the gun. I guess I could just build one or ask one of the leather guys for a custom job, but If I can find one that is mass produced like I did with the p3at, all of us have access for next to no cost (my p3at case was less than 5 bucks).
There's got to be something out there....

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Not sure why I am so "nit-picky" lately, but I have to ask......why not a regular holster?
Leaving a leather case on a table would invite theft. Weapon retention is very important.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The idea being to show absolutely no print in pants, and have the ability to move it from one pocket to another without anyone knowing that what just went from one side to the other. All anyone can see is that you have a rectangular wallet or Slightly larger pda case in your pocket.
Obviously weapon retention is key and no one is leaving it up on tables (just used as an example to illustrate that it is tough to see what it is, even when you are lookin at it.).
Let me suggest a scenario: You and your family are out for a walk. Bighairygoon steps out of the shadows and threatens to kill you and yours if you do not hand over your wallet/valuables. Assuming that you cannot successfully and safely evade and he is threatening you with a deadly weapon (etc, etc to make sure you are legally ok in what you do) , you decide to protect yourself. As you take off your watch and prepare to toss it over, you let him know that you are getting your wallet. As you toss over your watch (diversion and distraction), you reach into your pocket, out comes your black xd sub (wallets are black, not shiny chrome), and it gives that eloquent, yet short ,argument as only it can.
Having a plan for when the time comes (not that everything will go accordingly, but hey, you have something) is key in acting appropriately. Having your gun located in an area he will allow and expect you to reach for (assuming it is a wallet or PDA or whatever you tell him it is because that is what it prints like) is vital. The subterfuge is to give yourself an edge. He is nervous and therefore distractable. There's nothing saying you need to fight fair.
Anyway, that is why I'm loking for what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Interesting approach.
I pray you never have to be in such a situation.
Have a good weekend all :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to Wilson's leather in the mall, and found a case that works perfectly with a nip here and a tuck there for my preferred method of carry. It prints like a pda case, and is the easiest pocket draw I've had. It also has a spot for your CCW card so taht the two are always together (so losing this little pacjage is not an option). After talking to the LEOs out here, they've said that if I tell them that my permit is with my weapon if asked for it, they are just fine with it. All I need to do now is make the acrylic insert to help maintain the shape of the case, and its done. Were it a hair bigger, I could make the acrylic insert mate with an extra 10 rd mag. The whole thing fits nicely in my pocket, and no one the wiser.
Total invested: 15$ Can't even buy a desantis for that these days. I'll post a pic as soon as I get one.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yeah, post one. I'm very curious as to what kind of rig you got going on. A picture is worth a thousand words. If it looks feasible, I might even try it out.
Might be good for those occaisions where I have to dress more formally. A leather planner would not look out of place.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
jkswiss said:
A leather planner would not look out of place.
Untill someone asks you for a piece of paper or wants to see the calendar that you happen to have so handy :shock: :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
aaron,

hey. I just moved to philly, and I'm waiting for my carry permit. Two things. Where do you shoot and what are someplaces that you would consider must stay away from?

Thanks,
Poor

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poortrader,
Welcome to philly. Many of us shoot at what is formerly known as "britts security" up iun northeast philly just off of torresdale. A pass for my wife and myself for two years was 120$. Its a bit far from where I live, but the price can't be beat. There is also a nice club in the southwaest in Delaware county. It is outdoors, and I hear it's nice.
Feel free to pm me for more info.
Thanks,
Aaron Stevens

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
aaroncstevens said:
here are the links to the pics I took of my new rig. I'm sure someone will one day let me in on how to post the actual picture here instead of the link.

http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf00149le.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xdcase18hf.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xdcase27ne.jpg
Just put
at the end of the link and your pictures will show up directly. Also if you could shrink the pictures down a little, it will keep our "dial up" connection brothers from sitting 1/2 the day on their computer.

Good luck, shoot safe. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks hobo,
I had tried putting img at the beginning, but hadn't figured out the ending bit. Appreciate the help. I'll work on getting them shrunk down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts