Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting my XD-S(Post Recall) 45 for some time now and although I had some problems with the 7 round mags that were replaced by SA, I am now having problems with the 5 round mags I think. Went to the range today and right off the bat I shoot the 1st round and then nothing from the second round. I eject it and take a look at the primer and it has been struck but ever so lightly. I shoot the next round that I chambered from ejecting the bad round and once again, the next round does not fire. I take a look at the slide and it looks as though it's in battery. So I eject the bad round, load up the mag again and try once more with no luck. Seems as if I manually chamber a round it will shoot but the next one will not. For some reason I decide to swap out the mag to a 7 round mag and am able to go through all 7 rounds without a hitch. Put the 5 round back in and same problem. Maybe the spring is going bad, I don't know.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
2 things need to be answered--
1) are you able to smack the back of the slide and get it 'further in-battery'?
2) is this on one particular brand of ammo?

its also important to ensure that you aren't inadvertently limp-wristing the pistol...FRTB is my guess...but it could also be the striker channel caked with goo

·
Registered
240 Posts
stricker channel dirty or over lubed ??...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going back to the range tomorrow with different ammo. I was using my reloads that I have been for the past 6 months. Plus I'll clean and lube it all up before I go too. What gets me though is that the 7 round mag worked flawlessly. I'll also smack the back of it if it does it again but it looked like it was in full battery so I didn't even think of doing that today.

I'll report back tomorrow with the results.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess it could be my grip. Since the 7 round mag has more to hold on to it worked. I'll try out everything tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Plus I'll clean and lube it all up before I go too.
Do not, repeat NOT lube the striker channel. Thoroughly clean it and wipe it completely dry. Lube can hold dirt in the channel, possibly causing light strikes.

If you're using your reloads, an obscure problem may be a lack of crimp. I reloaded a batch one day and they would not completely chamber or fire. I finally traced the cause to my seating/crimp die. It had come loose and backed out slightly, leaving the bullet-seating flare intact - which wouldn't let the bullet fully chamber. I know, it's an off the wall problem, but if nothing else fixes it, think about it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news from the range today. Shot 50 rounds with the XD-S and only had one failure except for a dud primer I guess, I ran it through 3 times and it was a no go. The one failure was due to not going into full battery which may have been my fault. I used the same ammo as before plus tried out others just to make sure.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have a question though about when it does not go into full battery. Even in the video when hers did not go into full battery, she just slapped it on the back and then pulled the trigger and it shot. When mine would do that, yes I could slap the back but since I had already pulled the trigger, it has to be reset and the only way to do that would be to chamber the next round.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I do have a question though about when it does not go into full battery. Even in the video when hers did not go into full battery, she just slapped it on the back and then pulled the trigger and it shot. When mine would do that, yes I could slap the back but since I had already pulled the trigger, it has to be reset and the only way to do that would be to chamber the next round.
actually, a full slide stroke isn't needed to recock the striker--common myth...it takes 1/2" of rearward slide travel on my Sub Comp

your 'dud' has me curious...what type of primers were they?
I conducted an experiment to hush up a former co-worker last year, who swore that primers were easily ruined; I soaked some Remington Small Pistol Primers in distilled water for 24 hours and then loaded them up in some near +P .40 FMJs...loaded them into his magazine at the range...after the string of 12 I ponted out the red marks on the cases--every round fired without issue...He was amazed and didn't believe me...i repeated the experiment the following week with him observing...same results...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine was not going into full battery by about a 1/8", just ever so little of the front of the srping sticking out. The primer had a very very light strike. I just loaded that same round back into the mag and it shot with no problems. I'm using CCI large primers BTW. I'm thinking and it's just a thought that when I loaded these rounds up I tested them in my XD-M 45 and it had no problem using Blue Dot 8.4gr @ 1.265". I went back through my own load data and noticed that the last time I loaded up the same rounds I used 8.6gr @1.265".
Maybe the XD-S needs a little more poop to cycle it than the XD-M does.

When I said that I smacked the back of the slide to get it to go into full battery, the trigger had already been pulled so it was not reset requiring me to re-rack. I guess as you say that I didn't have to pull the slide back all the way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only issue I have ever had with any ammo was due to my grip when I first got he pistol. My wife is shooting the xds now and had the same issue... She was gripping it too low. Once corrected she has success with every round.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Here is something to try. If you experience a failure to fire, slowly move the slide to the rear, about 1/3 of its usual distance, and then release it. This will typically reset the trigger without ejecting the chambered round. I use this method on my various XD pistols during training courses, albeit I don't recall trying it on my XDs45.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it happens again and I hope it doesn't, I'll try it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It dosen`t take as much as you might think to reset the trigger. Try it with a empty gun to see how much. I do it all the time with my XDs to keep from ejecting the snap cap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts