Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 9mm 4.0 to go along with the 45 3.3, and took it to the range today. First thoughts...it's much softer shooting than the 45 in the shorter barrel. I first loaded up the 45 and fired 2 mags to get a reference, then I shot the 4.0. Night and day difference. I didn't find the 4.0 to be noticeably any more accurate, but it definitely doesn't have the small hammer feeling like the 45. The 3.3 is my primary CCW, but the 4.0 will now likely be rotated in with it. It is 2 ounces heavier when loaded, and you actually notice it a hair more in the IWB when sitting due to the barrel sticking down a little further.

After 150 rounds, I could have kept shooting it all day. With the 45, you really start to feel it after about 50-100 rounds. I wasn't planning to buy the 4.0, but it was one of those internet specials I couldn't pass up because I already had another firearm being shipped to my FFL at the same time, and it was the cheapest I would likely be able to get it for a while ($430 all-in). I also didn't need to buy a new holster because it fits in my crossbreed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another option for some may be that when it has the extended mag in, it's almost the size of any full-sized firearm, only thinner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
SA is (or was) having a 30% sale on a bunch of things including the extended mags. I almost pulled the switch on a couple of 7rd .45 mags but I thought better of it. If I wanted to carry a full sized pistol, that's what I'd be carrying :) The XDS with stock mags isn't that hard to get used to shooting and it's a heck of a lot easier to conceal.

Another option for some may be that when it has the extended mag in, it's almost the size of any full-sized firearm, only thinner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SA is (or was) having a 30% sale on a bunch of things including the extended mags. I almost pulled the switch on a couple of 7rd .45 mags but I thought better of it. If I wanted to carry a full sized pistol, that's what I'd be carrying :) The XDS with stock mags isn't that hard to get used to shooting and it's a heck of a lot easier to conceal.
Good move IMHO. I personally never use the extended mags unless I'm at the range. Unless it's for an extra carry mag, I would stick with the flush fit. I feel more comfortable with the 3-finger hold for some reason, and I have huge hands.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like the flush mags also. I have small hands but have a bad wrist, many surgeries, and the flush mag and short grip makes the angle perfect for me to be able to hold it...if that makes sense lol.

Love my xds 4.0 9mm. My first pistol and I do not regret it. I do regret I haven't shot it more! Only about 300 rnds down range.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also have the 4.0 in 45acp and really like it. I carry with the flush mag (pierce pinky extension) but carry my spare mags (2) as 7 rounders. Just a carryover from my road officer days I guess. I just feel more comfortable with 2 mags on tap. Now when I get my IWB holster I MIGHT go to a full 6 in the gun (5 rond mag plus one in the pipe) and just one spare 7 round extended mag. We will see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts