Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post here but defiantly not my first visit. After visiting this site along with countless others I decided to purchase the XD .40 service OD model as my first pistol. I had look at many other brands, and visited every gun shop/pawn shop in my area and after weighting the pros and cons the XD just seemed better for my needs. I should be picking it up as soon as I get back fro Puerto Rico for a wedding and am anticipating my arrival home. But what I would like to know as a firs time pistol owner is if there is any good literature on handgun owner ship and enhancing my shooting proficiency. I plan on taking a safety course but I'm not sure if I want to spend the money on lessons. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome. I just bought my first XD too. We have shoots monthly at the FOP range in Pleasant Grove. Matter of fact there is one this Saturday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just picked up my xd today. small problem they sent the tactical, when i had ordered the service model but after checking both out i decied to go ahead and take the tactical home with me. I then picked up some Win 180 grain fmj from walmart super cheap. i now have read the manuel like 4 times and am inticipating on going to the range real soon. Bailey i think i know what range you are talking about, i belive it to be oof owls howl rd., but could be wrong. I like to go up to sand mountain and i have a buddy who has a plinking station on his property in gadsden, but if you know any other good areas to shoot i would like to know more. I also order a blackhawk serpa holster. I like the fact it has a locking mechanism so i can wear it riding my atv, or just roaming around in the woods. i will let you guys know how it does.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks agalindo,
im going to go down to the local book store today and see what i can find, and then hopfully get some range time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
bamaXD said:
just picked up my xd today. small problem they sent the tactical, when i had ordered the service model but after checking both out i decied to go ahead and take the tactical home with me. I then picked up some Win 180 grain fmj from walmart super cheap. i now have read the manuel like 4 times and am inticipating on going to the range real soon. Bailey i think i know what range you are talking about, i belive it to be oof owls howl rd., but could be wrong. I like to go up to sand mountain and i have a buddy who has a plinking station on his property in gadsden, but if you know any other good areas to shoot i would like to know more. I also order a blackhawk serpa holster. I like the fact it has a locking mechanism so i can wear it riding my atv, or just roaming around in the woods. i will let you guys know how it does.
We have shoots all of the time that are usually posted here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=31 We'd love to have you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks bailey, i checked out the web site very nice range with lots of options, far more than im used to, i will have to come check it out one of these days, preferably when its not 105 degres out there :!: i have being going to www.sandmtnshootersclub.com its only 15min away from my house in gadsden and they are always trying to add new stuff, they also have the best meatball sandwich this side of the coosa river. There a local range just outside of gadsden that is refered to as FOP or Owl's Hollow but is just and old rock quary with a couple of covered stands, but its free and open to the public.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I for one was pestimistic about the XD. I have owned and fired many different firearms over the years. I have carried both the S& W revolver in the Air Force as a SP and in cilivian life as a cop. I have carried the Beretta in the military, a S&W model 59 off duty sidearm. I have fired Rugers, SWs, Taurus', and the list goes on. I have fired different makers of the 1911 Gov model, But when I was given the chance to place the XD40 in my hands and squeeze of 15 rounds it was just a pleasure to fire a weapon of this caliber. After going through my first two boxes of ammo my friend told me to go get my own. So that is exactlly what I did this morning. I went and put the deposit down on my new XD40 Service.

I figure that when I am not on duty I will be at the range every weekend just seeing how many rounds I can go through. :)

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Army_John said:
I for one was pestimistic about the XD. I have owned and fired many different firearms over the years. I have carried both the S& W revolver in the Air Force as a SP and in cilivian life as a cop. I have carried the Beretta in the military, a S&W model 59 off duty sidearm. I have fired Rugers, SWs, Taurus', and the list goes on. I have fired different makers of the 1911 Gov model, But when I was given the chance to place the XD40 in my hands and squeeze of 15 rounds it was just a pleasure to fire a weapon of this caliber. After going through my first two boxes of ammo my friend told me to go get my own. So that is exactlly what I did this morning. I went and put the deposit down on my new XD40 Service.

I figure that when I am not on duty I will be at the range every weekend just seeing how many rounds I can go through. :)
Watch out, these tupperware guns are addicting. They tend to multiply.

Welcome to the forum guys! :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
congrats and welcome. I bought mine for similar reasons and fell in love with it. :oops:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a real pretty Kimber 1911 picked out. Then I picked up an XD sub. with an extend mag. Sorry Kimber! This is by far the best gun I have ever held. It just feels right.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Welcome from the Lone Star state!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Howdy to the new guys. I'm always glad to see another .40 cal owner. How do you like the tactical so far?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
235 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts